⁅««Clumsy»»⁆

You could say this is a remake of the Lanternshork x Nightcrawler oneshot of which I may or may not have accidentally obliterated after mistaking it for the april fools one a year or so ago 🌚. It was one of the older chapters so don't worry abt that to much.

As night began to fall over the near deserted city of which once homed life of none other than the human race, the distant howls and cries of several different species of gootraxian (and or probably other) increased in volume and echoed across the infinite stretch of collapsing civilization littered with leaves and vines traveling along withered brick and stone. The moon shone as bright as it did any other night since the fall of this location in particular. With the lack of light pollution, some who had survived swore they could see every star from where they sat on the surface of a broken fraction of earth.

Suddenly, clouds began to roll over in the distant horizon, making the sky darker then it already had been in the midst of night. Thunder clapped and boomed louder the more they neared, startling the gootraxians at the grounds surface and forcing them into hiding. It was like there was a voided blanket draped over their shoulders as the clouds hovered over the stars, making the world pitch black with only a few lamp post's illuminating the cracked roads.

As quickly as the clouds themselves appeared the rain did to. It started smoothly, a drop or two echoing throughout the empty city. There were very few gootrax populating the streets by then, they'd fled by the time it became a downpour. It was impossible for them to navigate in both the dark and pouring rain, and they were gone before it'd gotten any worse. 

Except for one group, who'd been to busy harassing another for a few scraps to pay any mind to the weather or the erratic behavior of those around them. A group explicitly made up of Nightcrawlers and oddly enough, a large female Lanternshork bounded to them by chains.

The she wasn't present until a moment earlier when very few reinforcements of even more Nightcrawler's who lacked the goggles of their leader seemed to appear out of no where, all of which holding a bundle of chains which prevented her from breaking loose and mauling them or the enemies ahead. It struck fear into their enemies, some of which turning tail and retreating with their tails tucked in between their legs at the mere sight of the scared and aggressive shark, who jerked on her chains and nearly sent her captures flying. Others weren't willing to give up so easily however, and only did so when the rain had begun and the shark broke another's skull a mere seconds later.

The lizards and their murderous "friend" had nothing else in mind but the havoc and mischief they'd just caused. All of them, excluding the visibly distressed Lanternshork, smiled throughout the whole thing, tongues hanging loose as they spat derogatory language whenever they were forcefully moved with the chains in their gloved hands.

Despite being soaked, slipping and stumbling as they battled, they still had enough courage and ego to chase the opposing group away and loudly cheer as they took pride in what they'd won. It was barely enough to feed the horde they had back where they'd come, let alone the shark they wouldn't have been able to retrieve the meal without.

They'd all lived generally normal lives after the fall of civilization. The Lanternshork curiously roaming the streets as they were a solitary species, and the Nightcrawlers thriving in the presence of one another, obediently doing whatever their leader demanded, which was of course the only one with the iconic three lensed goggles. They didn't even know the other existed up until the world changed for both parties forever. The leader had just disappeared one day, and with the current situation it was only right to assume they'd been captured or died in the midst of another battle they'd most likely initiated. They couldn't live without any general authority, especially with how many there are. Apparently projecting the pain they'd suffered from grieving and change was a way of coping for the species because it wasn't long before they were all over the place, making everyone else's lives a living hell. They'd forcefully taken the poor Lanternshork under their custody just for the fun of it.