𝐒𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐄𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄 ꨄ︎ 3

tw - mentions of rape and sexual assault

Sadie had never been scared of storms at a young age.

She wasn't the type of girl to go running to her mother the second thunder rolled, or to jump at the sound of lightning.

Well, not until she was seven years old, at least.

And a terrible, terrible memory had been formed the night of a storm.

Johnny and Tee were in Sadie's arms on her bed, both asleep to the lullaby their seven year old sister had just sung them. Rain was beating against the roof, and thunder and lighting were striking outside.

Their mother and her boyfriend were out.

Of course they were.

Sadie was stroking Tee's hair, trying to get to sleep. She had to sleep. She had to. She knew what would happen to her if she was still awake when they came in.

She didn't really know how long she stayed there, but she did know that just when she started to doze off, thunder struck outside and she jolted awake.

Just when she heard the door shut downstairs.

Fuck, fuck, fuck-

However, when she heard the footsteps, they weren't Keith's loud, stomping ones, they were softer.

It must've been her mother.

That was her first mistake.

Heading downstairs was her second.

Keith was standing in the kitchen, his hair matted, his eyes wild.

Oh no, oh no no no no no-

She tried desperately to get back upstairs, but her foot creaked on the step-

Keith's head turned to her immediately and he asked, his tone venemous. "What are you doing up?"

Sadie couldn't move, couldn't speak-

"We ASKED you to be asleep by the time we got back!"

Sadie swallowed the lump in her throat and uttered. "Where's mum?"

"I don't think that's any of your CONCERN!" Spit flew from Keith's mouth and Sadie jumped.

"I'm sorry," she said in a quiet tone.

"What was that?" Keith raised his eyebrows.

"I'm sorry," tears spilled out her eyes.

"You know, I don't think you mean that," her stepfather said. "How about you show me?"

Sadie was already running.

But Keith was too fast for her, grabbing her wrist hard and yanking her back.

"No!" Sadie cried. "No, Keith, don't please!"

"How about you be a good girl, and I might forgive you easier?"

"NO!"

Her shouts still resounded in her head.

And tonight was the first storm in a while that really reminded her of that.