Chapter 65 - The Ember Island Players

Eziri and Zuko told the group they had an idea of a place they could stay until the comet. The two had discussed their options and ultimately agreed that Ember Island would be perfect. The group was a bit hesitant to hear they would be staying at the siblings' old beach home, but they trusted the firebenders. Mostly, everyone was just glad to see the pair getting along.

As Appa touched down on the island, Eziri leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to Sokka's lips. He was softly snoring, sprawled out on his back with his head in her lap. Sokka fluttered his eyes open and groggily stared at Eziri.

"We're here, love." She murmured. Sokka just stared up at her with a love-struck expression for a few long moments. She lightly tapped his forehead with her pointer finger. "What, is it hollow in here?" She joked. "Planning on getting up anytime soon?"

Sokka shook his head. "I could stay here all day." He breathed, not taking his eyes off his girlfriend. Eziri laughed and playfully rolled her eyes. The pair were lost in each other's' gaze, not paying attention anything around them. Sokka's gaze trailed from Eziri's amber eyes down to her soft lips. He slowly reached his hand up to her cheek and started to pull her down for a kiss. She tilted her head down, her own eyes focused on Sokka's lips. The couple was only a breath apart when they both scrambled apart at the loud throat clearing beside them.

Eziri looked up to see her brother standing there awkwardly. She hadn't even noticed the rest of their group climb off of the saddle.

"Um, are you guys coming with us?" Zuko asked impatiently. His discomfort and annoyance was clearly displayed across his face. Eziri groaned and stood.

"Yes, stop hovering weirdo." She chided.

Zuko grabbed his bag with a huff and climbed down.

Everyone got settled in the large beach house, each choosing from the many rooms. Eziri and Sokka shared what used to be Eziri's childhood room. There was a framed portrait of her and her siblings hung above a large dresser. It had been many years since Eziri entered the room, but the familiar sight tugged at her heart strings with nostalgia. She graced her fingertips over a few shells sitting at a desk. Small grains of sand still clung to the dusty minerals. She noticed an old journal peeking out from beneath the mattress and quickly tucked it away in a drawer so no one would snoop. She felt grateful that Toph couldn't read, otherwise the young earthbender would have loudly voiced Eziri's inner childhood thoughts to the entire group.

Eziri plopped onto her old bed with a sigh.

"It's weird, right?" She glanced towards the door to see Zuko leaned against the wooden frame.

"Beyond weird." She agreed. She carefully scrutinized Zuko's expression, knowing anything associated with childhood would likely bring up bad memories for him. "You ok?"

Zuko shrugged. "Mostly." He glanced around at the familiar room before meeting her eyes. "You?"

Eziri smiled softly and echoed his sentiment. "Mostly."

Zuko nodded and pushed off the frame. "I told Aang to meet us in the courtyard as soon as he got settled." Eziri huffed but stood immediately. She would love to sit and relax for a bit, but Aang had a lot of firebending to learn. Her hands were healed and, though she wished it were under better circumstances, she was glad she could properly teach him once again.

"I think we can finish the intermediate sets today." Eziri stated as she led the way into the hall, headed towards the courtyard. Zuko hummed in agreement.