17

The crisp December air bit at Bambam's cheeks as he stood near the school entrance, a lone snowman amidst the bustling crowd hurrying home for the winter break. Two weeks had crawled by like an avalanche, each day colder and emptier without Mina's smile. He'd texted, called, even have a box of warm cinnamon rolls delivered to her doorstep – her favorite, all ignored. He even had to snack on those cinnamon rolls for the whole afternood that day. Today was his last shot.

A flurry of activity caught his eye. A giant, lopsided snowman with a lopsided heart drawn on its chest stood proudly in the courtyard. Around it, dozens of red lanterns cast a warm glow, illuminating a table groaning under the weight of steaming mugs and an assortment of Mina's favorite snacks. Fairy lights, strung painstakingly across the bare branches of a nearby tree, blinked cheerfully. It looked like a scene straight out of a winter wonderland movie.

Students, their breath puffing out in white clouds, stopped and gasped. Whispers fluttered like snowflakes. "Who did this?" "Is it for Mina?"

Bambam, bundled in a thick parka and a knitted beanie his grandma made, waited with a heart that pounded a frantic rhythm against his ribs. He'd spent the past two nights crafting the snowman, borrowing fairy lights, and convincing the bakery to stay open late to bake Mina's treats. All for a chance to see the warmth return to her normally bright eyes.

Then, she appeared. Jihyo walked beside her, a frown etched on her face, but Mina couldn't quite hide the flicker of surprise that crossed her features at the sight of the spectacle. Their eyes met, and for a fleeting moment, all her annoyance vanished.

Bambam swallowed the lump in his throat.  "Mina," his voice cracked slightly, "I messed up. Big time. This is... for you. C-can we talk?"

The silence stretched, heavy with the anticipation of the entire student body, well just those who are present at the scene. Mina's lips remained a thin line, but her gaze lingered on the snowman, then on the warm mugs. Then, slowly, almost reluctantly, she turned to Jihyo, a silent question hanging in the air. 

Jihyo, after a hesitant moment, offered a small nod. It wasn't a complete victory, but for Bambam, in the quiet hush of the winter afternoon, it was a glimmer of hope, warm and bright as the twinkling fairy lights.

Mina's steps were hesitant as she approached the makeshift winter wonderland. The aroma of cinnamon rolls, a familiar comfort, tugged at her senses. She glanced at Bambam, his hopeful gaze a stark contrast to the determined set of his jaw two weeks ago. A sigh escaped her lips, a soft sound that carried in the crisp air.

"It's...impressive," she admitted, her voice barely a whisper. Her eyes drifted to the snowman, its lopsided charm mirroring the knot of tangled emotions in her chest. "But a snowman and snacks won't erase what you said."

Bambam's face fell slightly, the vulnerability in his expression a stark contrast to his usual bravado. "I know," he confessed, his voice rough with regret. "I was stupid, insensitive. I never meant to make you feel like Jihyo wasn't important. She's my friend too, and she's practically your sister, and I shouldn't have been so insensitive."

Jihyo, who had been observing the exchange with a carefully neutral expression, spoke up. "He did mess up, Mina. But..." Her voice softened slightly. "Give him a chance to explain."

Mina chewed on her lip, her gaze flickering between Bambam's hopeful face and the steaming mugs. The warmth radiating from the scene, both literal and metaphorical, was hard to resist. Finally, she sighed again, a hint of resignation in her voice.

"Fine," she said, her eyes meeting Bambam's. "But hot chocolate first. Then, we talk."

A relieved smile split Bambam's face, as bright as the fairy lights. He rushed forward, pulling out a chair for Mina with a flourish that almost sent the snowman toppling over. As they settled in, the chatter of the students faded into the background. The scent of cinnamon and the promise of a conversation, both hot and long overdue, hung heavy in the winter air.