10

The oppressive summer heat clung to Mina like a second skin, mirroring the way Jeongyeon and Nayeon's presence had become a constant in their apartment. Every late afternoon, the symphony of the front door opening and their infectious laughter would pierce the quiet Mina craved. But as the days bled into weeks, a strange numbness settled in.  The once-sharp pangs of longing dulled into a dull ache, a constant low hum of pain that was almost...comfortable.  It was a terrifying comfort, a sign that maybe, just maybe, a part of her was giving up.

The autumn wind whispered secrets through the hallways, rustling fallen leaves against Mina's ankles. Jihyo's voice, usually bright, held a melancholic echo. "Jeongyeon, huh?" she ventured, the question hanging heavy in the air.

Mina offered a ghost of a laugh, a sound brittle enough to shatter. Jihyo could still see the faint traces of summer etched on Mina's face – the lingering shadows of tear tracks and a weariness that clung to her like a forgotten dream.

Silence stretched between them, a comfortable blanket woven from shared grief. Jihyo understood. Some wounds didn't need constant prodding, some battles were best fought in quiet solidarity.  She fell into step beside Mina, their footsteps a steady rhythm against the polished floor. It wasn't much, but in that moment, Jihyo hoped the silent companionship was a balm on Mina's raw heart.

The shrill shriek of "Mina! Jihyo!" tore through the peaceful hum of the hallways. Both girls whipped their heads around, and a jolt of electricity shot through Mina. There, bounding towards them with uncoordinated joy, was Bambam.

He skidded to a halt in front of them, his cheeks erupting in a fiery blush.

Mina couldn't help but smile, a bittersweet pang echoing in her chest. The memory of his summer confession was fresh in her mind. He'd poured his heart out, leaving her breathless and speechless. But all she could think about was Jeongyeon.

Jihyo nudged Mina playfully with her elbow as they walked. "Well, hi there, Bambam. How was your summer vacation?"

Bambam's smile faltered slightly. "The usual, I guess. Nothing too exciting." His voice lacked its usual carefree lilt, and his eyes kept flitting towards Mina.

Jihyo, ever perceptive, raised an eyebrow. "Nothing exciting, huh? Or was there something – or should I say someone – keeping you on your toes all summer long?" A sly smile played on her lips.

Bambam's cheeks flushed a rosy pink. He mumbled something inaudible, then finally glanced directly at Mina. "Yeah," he blurted, his voice barely a whisper. "I... I couldn't wait to get back."

Jihyo hummed, a barely audible melody that danced in the air before dissipating. Her gaze flicked to Mina, the Japanese girl whose full lips parted slightly, a question shimmering in her wide, inquisitive eyes. But before the question could be voiced, a booming voice shattered the tentative silence.

"Yo, Bambam! Field meeting, now!" A voice, gruff with the beginnings of adolescence, echoed through the hallway.

"Yeah, Jeongyeon's apparently fuming," another voice chimed in, a hint of nervous laughter bubbling through the slight crackle that ran along its register. "We gotta get going, or we're toast."

"Oh. Y-yeah, I'll- Uh, Jihyo, Mina. See you later I guess." Bambam stated in a rush as he went towards the football guys.

"Hm? So Jeongyeon's really got a hold of the football team, no? Didn't know she's a fierce leader." Jihyo commented.

While Mina just shrugged.

The chatter of approaching students grew louder as they rounded the corner, the familiar sight of their classroom coming into view. Jihyo trailed off mid-sentence, the playful glint in her eyes replaced by a flicker of surprise. "Oh, anyway..." she started, her voice softer now. Taking a deep breath, she plunged in, "What's going on between you and Bambam? Are you too Jeongyeon-focused that you forgot to tell me something important?"