Chapter 298

Bai Liu repeated softly, “Fifty years have passed since the war ended?”

Elena lowered her head and looked at Bai Liu with droopy, wrinkled eyelids: “Maybe it’s been longer, I’m so old that I can hardly remember these dates.”

“I just remember that a long time ago, when Alex was still alive, he and the guy named Guy wrote many, many letters to me.” Elena took out a pile of old letters from her dirty skirt bib. “Every time I visit their graves, I read the letters they sent me in front of their graves, so as not to forget them all.”

Elena sighed tiredly: “You know, I am the only old woman who remembers these things now. If I forget them too, there will really be no trace of them.”

Bai Liu looked at the stack of letters and politely asked: “Can I see it?”

Elena looked at Bai Liu in surprise: “Are you interested? No young people want to hear these old stories anymore.”

Bai Liu smiled: “I am Alex and Guy’s comrade-in-arms, and I have an obligation to help remember them.”

Elena stared at Bai Liu quietly for a long time, and she suddenly laughed: “Young man, even if you are a liar who tells lies, you did use your lies to make me happy.”

She handed the pile of letters to Bai Liu kindly, with tears in her eyes: “You are welcome to remember these two people with me.”

Bai Liu held up the letter: “Perhaps you aren’t suggesting that I open it and read it in person?”

Elena laughed and waved her hands tremblingly: “Of course not, I can recite everything from the top of my head.”

Bai Liu lowered his head and arranged the letters in chronological order, and then opened them one by one. Elena was talking nonchalantly:

“…You know, young man, if a person has a bad life and is alone when they are very old, they will recall his past over and over again and wonder what they did wrong to end up like this…”

Elena’s old voice paused: “Do you know what is the most terrifying thing in this process?”

Bai Liu raised his eyes and looked at her: “What is it?”

Elena forced a smile, but tears flowed from the corners of her eyes: “If you did do a lot of things wrong.”

Bai Liu lowered his eyes and looked at the first letter in his hand. It was from Elena to Alex.

[Tribute to my dear fiancé:

Your dirty, shameless, despicable male lover wrote to me two days ago, begging me to forgive him for his despicable behavior with you, and shamelessly asking me to bless your love and marriage.

What a disgusting idea!

Is there any god in this world who would allow two men to unite in front of him?

I even suspected that enemy artillery shells would be raining down on the place where you were getting married as punishment for your breach of ethics!

Alex, as a doctor who studies the mechanism of human life, the greatest profession on earth, why would you allow yourself to hang out with such a ridiculous psychopath, wasting your time when you could be saving people?

When you’re with him, don’t you feel like your future and ideals are tainted by shit?

At least when I got the letter from him, I felt like my dignity had been stained by shit.]

Bai Liu opened the next letter, and the sender was Alex.

[To Elena:

First, allow me to viciously refute the way you have addressed me. I have never met you, and I have never agreed to allow you to make your own decisions and become my fiancée. The title you addressed me at the beginning of your previous letter is completely wrong.