Chapter 315

Liao Ke asked: “You are feeling sad for Bai Liu’s sadness, but you are not actually sad, right?”

The stethoscope hummed.

Liao Ke lowered his head and wrote: “You and Bai Liu empathized.”

Stethoscope asks, “What is empathy?”

“Empathy is because you two have similar experiences, or the other person has a very different special meaning to you, which leads to your being able to empathize with the other person’s emotions.” Liao Ke wrote in his notebook, “Spades, do you know why you feel sad because of Bai Liu’s sadness?”

The stethoscope answered honestly: “I don’t know.”

“You actually lack the basis for empathy. Your experience is too blank, which makes it impossible for you to imagine what another person would feel in that situation based on your own experience.”

Liao Ke explained: “Most empathy is based on mutual understanding, but this does not apply to you and Bai Liu. You don’t understand Bai Liu, or in other words, you don’t understand anyone. You don’t even understand the mechanism of human emotion.”

“So it’s very strange that empathy appears in you.” Liao Ke raised his eyes, “Based on my understanding of you, I think the only explanation is——”

“You are instinctively sensing Bai Liu’s emotions.”

“But correspondingly, although you feel it, you have no way to handle such complicated emotions.” Liao Ke smiled, “To put it in an analogy, if Bai Liu’s emotions are some special data, and you are a computer, and you do not have the ability to process this special data, the influx of this data will cause you to have a very strange reaction.”

Stethoscope asked, “What’s the reaction?”

“In order to process this special data, you will also keep producing special data to respond to the other party.” Liao Ke smiled gently, “Sometimes people will fall in love with those who love them, and hate those who hate them. This is a kind of human emotional feedback. You can feel the other person’s emotions, and accordingly, you will also generate emotions to deal with the other person’s emotions.”

“Bai Liu is sad for you, so you will also be sad for Bai Liu.”

Liao Ke continued: “But we need to find the source of this empathy together. That is, among all the people around you, Spades, why did you instinctively or subconsciously choose Bai Liu instead of others to feel their emotions?”

The stethoscope seemed to be thinking, and drooped slightly: “Bai Liu…is different from others.”

“How is he different from others?” Liao Ke said softly, “This question may be difficult for Spades to answer. Let’s cite the progressive relationships around you, Spades, to explore why Bai Liu is different.”

“For example,  the strangers in the game pool, what’s the difference between them and Bai Liu to you? Why don’t you choose to empathize with them?”

Stethoscope was silent for a long time: “These people are afraid of me.”

Liao Ke nodded as if he had realized something, expressing his understanding: “Because these people are afraid of you, there is a natural barrier of empathy between you. They have ill will towards you, so you will shield them accordingly.”

“In fact, normally speaking, if Spades was a human who grew up in a normal environment, his first reaction to being frightened by a large crowd would be to be infected. He would subconsciously fear and hate himself, thus aligning his ideas with those of other humans, seeking a sense of spiritual identity, and avoiding being isolated by the group.”