Chapter 20 : Last Day

Luke's POV

"Whoa, take me there!" Lily pointed at an ice cream shop a few feet away from us.

"Kid."

"What did you just call me?" She widened her eyes at me. That was cute seeing her angry.

"Kid. You're a kid." I Repeated it.

"Me? A kid? Just because I wanna buy an ice cream?" I nodded. "Then what are you? You also like ice creams. You can't resist the temptation of them."

Ouch. She remembered.

"But I don't act like one. I could really walk there and buy it if I wanted to without yelling at people beside me. So, I'm not a kid."

She made that face. And I couldn't help but laugh at that. "Aw, come on little baby. Let's get you some ice cream so you won't cry." I didn't really know what I just called her and I didn't even know if she noticed but I didn't care.

"Now where are we going to go?" Lily asked as we sat down on a bench.

"Just finish your ice cream. Why so eager anyway? We have a whole day to spend."

"I was just asking."

There was a moment of silence until I decided to speak up.

"Oh anyways."

"You know."

We spoke at the same time which made us laugh. "Okay you go first." I said.

"No, you go first."

"Ever heard of ladies first? Just say what you wanted to say."

Lily let out a small smile, "okay. So um.. I was just wondering. Like, why did you ask me out today? I mean.. we could just stay at one of our houses like always. And also, I don't think you really like going out. Like it's good now we're here, I was so bored yesterday. So I'm kind of happy you asked me to come with you, but--Oh gosh just.. nevermind. Forget it. I'm not making any sense."

I chuckled. But then frowned for a little while. She noticed it. I had no idea on what I should say.. like, should I say the truth or the opposite instead? But if I said the truth she would get so pissed at me. And hate me. And get sad. Oh my God I liked her too much to make her feel those.
But if I didn't say the truth she would just think that everything was fine and that we would still talk and go out.
Sigh.

"Earth to Hemmings."

I turned my head to her. "Oh, yes?" What did I just think oh God.

"Nevermind." She finished her ice cream and threw the tissue to the trash can beside the bench.

"You were wondering why I'm taking you out today? Well I'm doing it just because I can. Like you know.. I'm kind of bored. And you're the only one who can make me feel less bored. And with going out like this just makes everything really fun. I like spending my times with you. I mean, you're just amazing and fun to be with--Don't get me wrong. I just.. have never been so close to anyone." I saw the sides of her lips pulled up, making a smile.. And that was the most beautiful smile I could ever see in my life.
~
We went to an amusement park after driving around Seattle. Well, as far as we could. It was night already. We watched a kind of magic show there. The magician wore that clown costume and did some tricks. I could see Lily was really enjoying the show. She was clapping along the show. She said that was the first time for her to watch that kind of thing.

Just.. how I wish this could last.

But we couldn't all get what we want. That's what they always say.

~

"Thank you so much for today, Luke. Really. Today was really amazing. I had so much fun with you." She smiled from ear to ear.

I had these feelings in my heart right now. Happy, sad. I wanted to say jokes and just make her laugh before I left but I also wanted to cry. I wanted to tell her that I would take her out again some day but I just couldn't.

This was my last day of being with her.

I didn't even know why I agreed with Aaron to get back together with Clara. But I hope I wouldn't fuck things up.

And I should tell Lily the truth.

But.. Fuck this wasn't easy.

"Lily.." I held both of her hands in mine. She seemed surprised because she was looking at our hands with that look. But then her eyes met mine. Waiting for my mouth to say whatever it wanted.

"Take care, okay?"

She raised her eyebrow. "Ta.. take care? What are you talking about? I'm in front of my house right now? I shouldn't take care, should I?"

I laughed at that. This girl was just amazing. "I mean take care when I'm not around. Just take care of yourself. Don't do anything stupid. Don't stay at home alone a lot. You have to go out with your friends too somehow. Not much but you need it too. Don't stay up all night often. It's not good for your health and you know that. Keep being the person who always helps each other. You have that power to make people around you happy. Keep that in yourself okay, Lily? And--"

"Stop." She cut me off. "This is nonsense. You're talking as if we're not going to meet in anytime soon." She laughed as if this was all a joke.

"Just go home now, Luke. You're tired. Once again, thank you. Just thank you for everything. You're the best. Take care on your way home, will you?"

God I wish I could have another day to spend with her.

"I will." I tried my best to smile. But sure it was shit.

Then in all of sudden, she took a step closer to me. She tiptoed and placed a gentle soft kiss on my cheek.

"Goodnight." And she walked into her house.

Shit.

If only you knew, Lily. If only you knew.

-------------------------