Chapter 28 : Infirmary

I opened my eyes slowly and white ceiling was the first thing I saw. My room's ceiling was grey. So this must not be it. I saw my surroundings and realized that I was in school's infirmary.

Oh, so it did end up like in those cliché movies.

But did Luke really bring me here? I wasn't seeing him in the room. Not until someone walked in with some plastic bag sound.

"Oh, you're awake!" It was Luke. He walked faster towards my bed and sat on the chair next to it. He placed the back of his hand on my forehead. Trying to see if my body temperature was still not normal. "I don't think the fever is going soon."

I didn't know that I got fever. I wasn't feeling hot when I went to the bathroom but now that I'd touched myself, it was actually hot.

How long was I unconscious?

"You were unconscious for 3 hours." He said as if he could read my mind. "Have you eaten anything? I got you sandwich and water here." He took the sandwich and the water out of the plastic bag. I shook my head to answer his question. "I've told Mrs. Woods that you were sick and that you needed rest in the infirmary so you don't have to worry about her class. Now I'll go talk to Ms. Susan. I'll be right back." Ms. Susan was the person who took care of the infirmary. Like the nurse, I might say.

Anyway so.. Luke decided to talk to me again now?

I couldn't deny the fact that I felt happy knowing he was the one who brought me here. Not to mention he took care of me. I mean, he didn't just bring me to this place then leave. He bought me food to make sure that I eat something.

I smiled at the thought of him. He was always confusing since the very beginning.

"Lily." Luke came back by himself. "So, Ms. Susan checked up on you earlier when you were unconscious and now she said that you just needed rest and if you haven't eaten anything then you should so you can take medicine."

I stared at him as he opened the sandwich and handed it to me. "Can I have the water first? I'm thirsty." Luke said yes and gave me the water bottle.

I didn't want to think of anything. I didn't want to wonder why he was suddenly being like this. I just wanted to live this moment. I wasn't feeling well and I deserved some of his attention. Call me selfish but I don't care. And since he was the one giving it to me without me asking, I didn't have any reason to tell him to go.

It was already 4 in the afternoon and I was still lying in the infirmary's bed. The last thing I remembered was Luke telling me to have a rest and I was feeling sleepy too so I went to sleep. I scanned the room and Luke was apparently still there. He was asleep on a chair two steps away from this bed. Why hasn't he left yet? Doesn't he have things to do with Clara? As soon as the name popped out in my mind, I started to feel like puking. I might have forgotten her existence in Luke's life after passing out.

I got up to sit, feeling way better. Then I felt my phone buzz in my pocket and I took it out. 4 messages from Emily,

10:12 a.m.
Yo, Lils. You wanna watch something at the movies with me?

11:05 a.m.
Lily? How is it?

01:10 p.m.
What are you doing why aren't you replying to my messages?

04:10 p.m.
Lily, you're making me worried.

And there was a message from Ashton.

12:01 p.m.
Do you wanna have a walk with me after school?

They both didn't seem to know that I passed out and got carried by Luke to this place. If Luke was out around school there would be a chance he would meet one of them two, unless he wasn't. He's been here all the time?

I looked for Emily's number and dialed it. She picked up after one ring.

"Lily! Where have you been?" Her voice raised and she sounded so worried.

"Hey, Em. I'm sorry I couldn't really use my phone. I'm in the school's infirmary."

"What? What happened?"

"I.. passed out?"

"You what?!" All my life, I never actually fainted. I didn't know why I did today.

"I don't know why."

"I'll be right there." She hung up.

I put my phone back in my pocket and turned my head to see Luke. He was still asleep. I thought he would've woken up hearing my voice when I was calling Emily.

I got off the bed slowly and walked towards him. He looked so tired. I touched his hand, softly, not wanting to wake him up by surprise. "Luke.."

His eyes were open as long as his name came out of my mouth. "Lily? You're awake?"

"No, I'm still asleep. I can sleepwalk too if you didn't know that."

He smiled with a little laugh, "Are you feeling better yet? You should stay in bed."

"Nah, I'm not that weak. Not after 3 hours of unconsciousness and 2 hours extra sleep. I'm all good now."

"You sure?"

"A hundred percent. You want me to jump and dance right here to assure you that I'm okay now?"

He laughed, "Okay, okay. That's good." He took a look at his wrist watch and looked back at me. And somehow he looked nervous now. "Do you um.. want me to drive you home?"

"It's okay, you don't need to. Emmy's gonna be here in a while-Oh, there she is." Emily walked in and was surprised to find Luke here with me. But she chose not to say anything.

"Oh.." Luke said. I didn't know if it was just me but he looked a little.. disappointed? "Okay, Lily. I should get going too. Helen is alone at home."

"Mhm. Take care Luke. And thank you so much for.. taking care of me." I smiled awkwardly at him before he walked away.

Emily would attack me with questions but she was being so nice for not doing that right now and I thanked her for that. I myself didn't understand any of the situation. Why Luke started talking to me again or why he did all what he did because as far as I remembered, he was the one who pushed himself away from me. Even after I tried to talk to him.

"You owe me an explanation and you know that Lils." Emily said when we were finally in her car.

He owed me an explanation.