Prologue

In the peaceful town of Lubbock Texas, it is close to the end of the school year and Max just finished Kindergarten for the year. The bell rang and children cheered and headed out to the door waiting for their parents to pick them up. Max wasn't excited about the summer much since he never enjoyed being home. He waited outside and envy's the other kids having parents that loved them.

   His relationship with his mother declined downhill badly ever since his father left them when Max was close to the age of three. The mother even made a bad decision of being a stripper for a gentleman's club for easy money just to make ends meet financially, and could be dangerous to her and Max.

   He heard his god sister's car drive to the pickup path of the school and smiled seeing the only person that is close and loved as an older sibling even though they aren't blood related was Renamon.

———————

———————

"Hey Maxamillion!" She says as she unlocks the doors for him to come in the backseat.

"Hey Rena! How are you doing?" Max asked excitedly while he got in his seat.

"Doing good. Finally finished my second year at high school. Summer time starts now." Renamon says excitedly as she starts driving her car out of the school zone.

"Are you taking me home?" Max asked curiosity.

"Of course not. Your mom is not home yet so you are hanging with me at my house for the evening." She answers.

"That's good. I don't want to be home anyway, mom is never home and she keeps bringing many boyfriends home, and there are many different ones." Max says while confused.

   Renamon immediately changed the subject and asked, "You want to go to Raising Cane's for dinner?"

"Yes please. Can I get the Caniac combo today?" He asked excitedly.

"Are you that hungry?" Renamon asked.

"Yes. Mom just packed me a sandwich and nothing else for lunch." Max spoke.

   Renamon felt a little angry about how his mother was neglective to Max so she tried to stay calm as she drove him to the restaurant for chicken fingers. She parked her car and helped Max out of the back seat and walked inside the restaurant.

   They ordered and Max started dipping some of his chicken in some sauce as he tried to settle his appetite. Renamon smiled as she was eating her meal.

"Slow down max, it's not going anywhere." She says while taking a sip from her drink.

"I know, their signature sauce is amazing." Max says as he ate some of his fries.

"What do you want to do when we get back to my place?" Renamon asked.

"Just watch some TV." Max says.

"Ok." She says as Renamon continues eating her meal.

   After they ate, they headed to Renamon's house to relax during the evening. Renamon was in the kitchen interacting with her friends on social media while Max lay down on the couch watching cartoons.

Rena's cell phone rang and noticed it was Max's mother and she immediately answered.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Hey Rena, just wondering if Max can spend the night at your place, I have to stay till 3 in the morning. I'll pay you extra." The mother says.

"Sure that will be fine." Renamon agrees.

"Thank you." The mother says before she hangs up.

"Fucking negligent, bitch..." She quietly says before heading to the living room.

"Hey Maxamillion."

"Yea Rena?"

"Your mom called and said that she needed to stay late for work. So you are spending the night with me again." Renamon explains.

"Well, we better stop and get my pjs and toothbrush." Max suggested.

"Don't worry. We can stop at your house tonight." Renamon says as she heads back to the kitchen.

   During the night, Renamon puts Max to bed for the night, but was in deep thought of what to do to help him have a healthier life if his mother is putting her and himself in danger.

   Renamon did what she could, but was not sure of calling social services yet since she didn't want to make things worse for him. Even though she gets paid well just to babysit him constantly, she didn't really care about the money. She only cared for Max to be safe in her care.

   She sees Max asleep in the guest bedroom and smiles before she heads to her bedroom to sleep. As she hopes that he has a good future.