|| 36 ||

I glanced at Shivaay, as he drummed his fingers on the table, while we all patiently waited for dessert to be served

"Shivaay," Mukesh Uncle grinned at the man beside me, who nodded with a polite smile. "Beta, drop by my office sometime next week, will you?" As Shivaay's eyebrows furrowed, he added, "There are a few things I need to discuss with you." He glanced at me, "In private."

My eyebrows furrowed.

Why had he looked at me?

"Alright," Shivaay nodded.

Shaking my head, I turned to face Vikram and Chutki—— the two of them engaged in an intense battle of who would be the first to blink—— to be able to get the first cupcake, from the ones Avni Aunty had prepared.

"Is this normal?" Shivaay glanced awkwardly at the two, muttering under his breath.

"What? Surprised to see your business rival in his big brother form?" I teased, whispering to ensure no one else heard us.

He arched an eyebrow, a corner of his lips quirking upwards. "I shall refrain from commenting."

"Ever the gentleman," I batted my eyelashes, feigning impressiveness.

Shaking his head, he leaned forward, brushing his lips against my ear. The touch of his soft smile burned my skin and spread like wildfire all over my body. "One of my many skills," he whispered, his lips stretching up into a smirk.

He leaned back, turning towards Avni Aunty with a nonchalant smile, as he accepted a lemon blueberry cupcake from her.

"Nika, beta," Avni Aunty forwarded the tray of key lime cupcakes towards me. "I've made an extra batch, so you'll be able to take some home, with you, should you like." She glanced pointedly at Vikram. "And before you whine, young man, I've kept them aside for you too." Shaking her head, she exhaled a sigh. "Lord knows why you two had to have the same favourite type of cupcakes."

"Maybe because no one makes cupcakes as good as you?" I smiled cheekily.

"Chaal, haat," she rolled her eyes at me, with a fond smile.

"Mom, I do not whine," Vikram's eyes narrowed, before he looked away grumpily.

"You do," Shivaay arched an eyebrow at him, which made Vikram rolls his eyes in return.

"Trying to butter up my mother?" Vikram crossed his arms in front of his chest.

"I'm an ardent believer of the truth," he shrugged nonchalantly.

I choked on my bite of the key lime cupcake, my eyes widening as I glanced at Shivaay who looked at me with lips pursed in amusement.

That baagadh billa was enjoying this!

"Nika? Are you alright, dear?" Mukesh Uncle frowned at me, worriedly.

Om was chuckling behind the rim of his glass of margarita.