|| 37 ||

I wrapped my arms tighter around my best friend who sniffled in my embrace

I'd rushed out of Oberoi Mansion in a frenzy, apologising profusely to the Oberois who'd assured me that they understood my predicament.

Shivaay had driven me to Neha's apartment and I was currently in the middle of consoling my best friend, while my 'boyfriend' waited on the lower floor.

"I-I-I lo-loved him," she hiccupped, whimpering softly.

"I know," I whispered softly, tightening my embrace. Pressing a kiss to her temple, I rubbed my hand up and down her back. "It'll be alright, baby."

"No," she mumbled, letting out a painful moan. "Nothing will ever," she hiccupped, "be fine again."

"It will," I shook my head.

"No," she whispered, unwrapping her arms from around my waist and leaning back against the headboard. She stared at her hands on her lap, smiling bitterly. "I've never had anyone to call my own——"

"As your best friend, I take offence to that," I frowned, jutting my chin out haughtily.

She let out a watery laugh, "You're impossible." Chuckling sadly, she shook her head, "I never thought I'd turn into my mother." The bitterness of her tone, made me wince.

"You are not Sudha Aunty, Neha," I placed a hand on her arm and squeezed reassuringly. "You're Neha fucking Singhania," I chuckled. "You're a badass who's triumphed all challenges in life and made a name for yourself, completely separate from Singhania Enterprises."

"The love of my life betrayed me in the worst way possible," she shook her head, chuckling bitterly. "He broke my trust, like Naitik's father broke my mother's." She smiled bitterly, "Mihir proved my mother right—— that no one would entangle themselves in a relationship with me," she whimpered quietly, "unless they wanted my money."

"Ouch," I remarked drily.

"That's not what I meant," she frowned, shaking her head. "I was talking about relationships in the romantic sense. And quoting my mother," her eyes widened as she added in a panicked tone, "They're not my thoughts, Nika! I would never——"

"I know," I interjected, my amused smile faltering as I noticed the desperate pleading in her eyes. "Hey," I placed my hands on her cheeks, "I'm never leaving you. You're stuck with me till the end of time," I rested my forehead against hers.

She smiled weakly, "And even after."

"Precisely," I said softly. "I'll haunt you when I die."