One Guardian Less

Indigo pov

Everything happened so fast. Noah's mother betraying us, the vision, and then this. Nothing was supposed to go this way. Noah's fake mother had shot an arrow straight at who she thought was her daughter from the beginning. She was ready to kill her own children. All of us, everyone had lunged towards the arrow. Ryan was already moving, wrapping Noah in his arms and trying to pull her away. The rest of us lunged for it. Celeste reached it before any of us could. There were screams as Noah's mother shot the arrow, and then a sickening twatch before the silence. Everyone just stood there, staring at Celeste, standing in front of Noah, arms spread out to block any other shots, an arrow sticking out her chest.

She stood still for a moment, blood seeping through the wound, staining her white tunic. Her mouth was closed, pulled into a thin line. Then she gagged. Blood spurted out of her mouth, a waterfall of red now running down her tunic. The sight of the red liquid snapped everyone out of their daze.

"Celeste..." I breathed. "Celeste...no.." I ran forward.

"NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!" Luna grabbed her as she fell. Elli skid on her knees, grabbing her hand. Charlie and Chloe stood on the side, looking down at her, terrified. Noah grabbed her other hand. I crouched down next to them, panic settling into my stomach.

"Heal her...we can heal her.." choked Chloe. She started unwrapping the chain around her neck where a tiny vial of water hung. "We can heal her..." she repeated. Jake unwrapped the chain around his neck too.

"No...no..." Silver and Luna didn't reply, still staring at Celeste in disbelief. Hot tears blinded me. She'll be fine. She'll be fine. They can heal her. They have to....

"Elli, the chain around your neck, the vial..." Noah undid the chain around her neck and looked at her. "Elli, we have to heal her. Your vial...I need it...please..." her voice cracked, breaking my heart.

"No...Noemi...stop..." croaked Celeste weakly.

"Shut up." Noah said. She grabbed Elli's vial and opened the others. She lifted her hand and blobs of water floated out of each one.

"Noah, you can't save her." whispered Ryan, walking up next to me and touching her shoulder.

"No...shut up...please...no..." Noah continued mumbling under her breath, tears spilling down her cheeks. I didn't want to believe it, but I knew they were right. The wound in her chest made it clear that no amount of healing would work. I think the others began to understand too.

"Noah please." Jason tried to grab her arm but she wrenched it away.

"No...no...no....I can heal her. We can heal her if we work together." She wrapped her fingers around the arrow and started trying to pull it out.

"Noah stop..." breathed Raven. She was holding Mark's hand, squeezing it tight. Noah continued to ignore her.

"Noemi, stop. We cannot save her." Silver whispered. "Noemi plea-"

"DAMN IT!!!" Noah sobbed. She screamed and the water that rose from the vials, fell to the ground with a splash. "DAMN IT!" she screamed again. "WHY WON'T YOU LET ME SAVE HER? YOU'RE HER FRIEND! YOU'VE BEEN WITH HER FOR YEARS! SO WHY WON'T YOU HELP ME SAVE HER? WHY WON'T YOU HEAL HER?" she cried. She finally managed to extract the arrow from Celeste's chest and threw it aside. She raised her hands again and the water rose from the ground. The bubble started glowing blue. "I'll heal her myself, then. I'll heal her. Chloe, help me...Jake and Elli, you too..."

"Noemi....enough..." croaked Celeste again. She weakly lifted up her arms and grabbed Noah's wrist. The water splashed to the ground again. Noah continued sobbing. Celeste touched her face. Then she looked at us. First Ryan, then me, Raven, Mark, the twins, Jason, Jake and Elli. Finally, her gaze landed on her two friends.