Uncertainty

Arius felt like he was floating in nothingness, as if his head was constantly overfilling with thoughts and yet also empty. His body felt heavy yet light; there was just no right word to describe what he felt at the moment.

He woke up only two days after the incident; his sister and Claude had yet to awaken. Arius was tended to by the doctors and maids until he could finally find the strength in his limbs to make his way toward his sister.

As his eyes landed on her unconscious form, her face twisted with agony, Arius felt incompetent and berated himself for being useless. Even though he himself was not fully recovered, Arius spent days and nights by her and Claude's side. If he spent the day in Athanasia's room, he would spend the night in Claude's, watching over them as they lay still.

Arius once believed he didn't care even a little bit for Claude, but the recent happenings tore his own thoughts apart. Even now, he would wake from nightmares of the day he was beheaded. So why was he still watching over the man who had called for his doom? Arius silently wondered, watching the smooth rise and fall of Claude's chest.

'Wake up soon. Athy needs you.'

Arius sighed, hovering his hand over Claude's chest, using spell after spell to heal him. Felix stood outside, hoping the other two would wake up soon and give the company that Arius needed.

"Your Highness, it's already late. You should go to sleep."

Noticing the moon was already up in the sky, Felix advised Arius to rest. Arius glanced toward the door, watching Felix stand guard while he healed Claude.

"…I will."

Arius replied, his voice so quiet it could hardly be heard, but Felix, a trained knight, picked it up. Felix sighed softly, glancing at Arius, whose hair was in a mess, his eyes starting to sink into his skull, with dark circles forming beneath them.

Felix wouldn't say it out loud, but Arius looked like a mess. Even Arius himself knew that, but he didn't have the want or strength to fix himself up. Arius settled on the sofa where Claude used to take his usual naps, refusing to go to his own room.

Arius couldn't fall asleep. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't. He feared that Claude would stop breathing while he was asleep. Arius knew Athanasia was fine after tending to her all day, but he couldn't say the same about Claude.

'Oh god... must you be so cruel to me? Why are my cries of anguish so far from you?'

Arius sat up. Unable to sleep, he walked toward the small book cabinet and grabbed a random book. Felix brought him a hot cup of tea and provided him with a warm blanket.

"Your Highness, shall I escort you to your room?"

Felix asked, placing the cup of tea before him. His eyes worriedly glanced at Arius, who looked exhausted and yet still refused to sleep.

"…No, I plan to spend my night here."

Arius replied, sitting on the sofa with the book on his lap. Felix sighed softly, wondering how he should convince the Prince to take proper rest. It had only been a few days since Arius woke up, and he was still stubborn and fixated on staying by their sides.

"I see. If there's anything you need, please don't hesitate to tell me."

Felix smiled, walking toward the door and taking a glance at Claude and Arius, who had gotten a shade paler since the mana storm.