CHAPTER 30: Golden Era

In the silence of the Council room of Sietch Tabr, Stilgar could feel the weight of every gaze upon him

In the silence of the Council room of Sietch Tabr, Stilgar could feel the weight of every gaze upon him. The chamber, dimly lit by the only light coming from the opened ceiling at the center of their circle, cast long shadows across the rough-hewn rock walls, and their faces that held wisdom of their years. The air was thick with tension, carrying the faint scent of spice and sweat. Other council members, their faces etched with skepticism and mistrust, regarded Stilgar with a mixture of disbelief, hesitation, and derision of his claims.

Stilgar, known for his unwavering faith and leadership, now found himself under scrutiny. His decision to bring Outworlders into the sanctity of their Sietch was met with suspicion that these people were spies. The Fremen, with their deep-seated mistrust of outsiders, viewed his actions as absurdity.

"I need your guidance with the three foreigners," Stilgar began, his voice firm but seeking understanding. He spoke in Chakobsa, the ancient language of the Fremen, hoping to appeal to their sense of unity and tradition.

Across from him, Laiya, an elder Fremen woman with deeply lined features and piercing blue-within-blue eyes, did not hide her disdain. She sat rigidly, her fingers tapping impatiently on her lap. "Give them back to the desert," she said, her voice sharp and unwavering. Her statement caused the other council members to murmur among themselves, their eyes flicking back to Stilgar.

"I saw the signs," Stilgar reiterated, his conviction evident. His voice carried the weight of his belief, though it wavered slightly under the collective doubt in the room.

Laiya snorted derisively. "Again?" she mocked, her tone dripping with sarcasm. Her words elicited a ripple of laughter from the council, their voices mingling with the echoes in the cavernous room.

Raul, a seasoned warrior of the Council with a scar running down his cheek, finally spoke, his voice cutting through the laughter. "Stilgar, your faith is playing tricks on you," he said, his eyes narrowing as he leaned forward, scrutinizing Stilgar's face for any sign of doubt.

Stilgar's jaw tightened, his frustration bubbling to the surface. "Then how do you explain the girl?" he countered, his eyes blazing. "Many of us witnessed it. The Shai-Hulud did not harm her, even answered her command. That was the power of the Shai'hul Sha'ir, she's one with the desert."

The council erupted into a chorus of scoffs and dismissive gestures. One man, sitting near the back, laughed openly. "Unbelievable. A trick of the mind!" he scoffed, shaking his head.

Laiya leaned back in her chair, her eyes gleaming with amusement. "If she is the Seraphim, then it is impossible for The Lisan al-Gaib to show his face yet," she said, her voice mocking. "It is always written that the Seraphim comes to walk this land first with her miracles, never together with the Mahdi."

Stilgar's frustration gave way to a burning determination. "I tell you, this is the fulfillment of the Prophecy, much greater than we've known!" His voice cut through the room, silencing the laughter. "It is the Golden Era of our faith. We are blessed to have these two figures exist in this time. Instead of doubting it, we should feel fortunate that they finally arrived."