CHAPTER 32: Desert Trial

!WARNING! MATURE THEMES BELOW! YOU CAN SKIP THE PART HOWEVER, FOR I MARKED THE PART WITH '***' YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

"The Marquis Thalion is dead," a woman's voice echoed around the room, distorted slightly by the flickering holographic transmission. Her image glitched momentarily as she shifted in her seat. Countess Reano's gaze was severe, her hand slamming down on the table with a force that seemed almost tangible despite the virtual setting. "Duke Leto is also dead. How are we to continue if our leaders are gone?"

A scoff emerged from the direction of a House Minor representative. "Did you forget the reason for our alliance? We anticipated this. Now more than ever, we must remain steadfast to our vision."

"How long must we hold on? How long must we continue to expand? Unless someone steps up," another voice interjected. The hologram of Viscount Mordock flickered as he leaned back in his chair. "We've heard reports from our spies in the Spacing Guild that the heirs are lost on Arrakis, but how can we be sure they haven't perished?"

The room erupted into a cacophony of debates and voices. The leaders of the Great Houses began arguing amongst themselves, the tension palpable even through the holographic interface.

"We must continue our work," a voice cut through the chaos, commanding immediate attention. The speaker sat at the center of the table, his presence previously unnoticed due to his usual silence. His voice, now resonating with newfound authority, sliced through the air with precision. "Now more than ever, we must not stop."

The holographic meeting, held amongst the Secret Circle, now had an unexpected pivot. Each member, hailing from different parts of the Known Universe, was connected through live communication holograms, creating a semblance of presence despite the vast distances separating their homeworlds. Unlike before, when they risked traveling to conduct secret meetings personally, the deaths of the two powerful leaders necessitated greater discretion. The Spacing Guild was monitored closely by the Imperium, so interstellar travel had to be limited. However, the mysterious man, the only one physically present in the room, held the attention of the entire assembly, making everyone turn to him skeptically.

Countess Reano's holographic gaze turned sharply towards the man who had spoken. "Remind me, why are you in Marquis Sylvane's seat, snake?"

The man addressed as Snake due to the seal he bore met her gaze with a calm yet intimidating stare. "Because Lord Thalion himself entrusted me with this position."

Viscount Mordock sneered. "Thalion never mentioned anyone taking his place. Only the two heirs were meant to lead. That was the agreement."

"I never claimed I would lead," The snake replied, unfazed by the suspicious glances directed his way. "I am merely holding this position in their absence, and right now, Thalion was right. Some of you are even starting to falter."

Insulted scoffs filled the room, voices slightly distorted and some of their images glitched as they began to hurl insults at him.

"Why should we trust you?" another voice demanded over the din. "You never speak during meetings. You're a mere shadow."