CHAPTER 36: Painful Truths

In the dim glow of his office, Thalion Sylvane immersed himself in the mountain of paperwork that demanded his attention

In the dim glow of his office, Thalion Sylvane immersed himself in the mountain of paperwork that demanded his attention. Hours had slipped by since his mother Cressida's funeral, a solemn event that left a heavy silence hanging in the air. The only sound was the relentless ticking of the clock, marking the passing minutes of a night that seemed to stretch endlessly. Thalion felt the weight of his grief pressing down on him, a suffocating presence that kept him from seeking the solace of sleep.

His concentration was abruptly shattered by the soft creak of the door, followed by the timid shuffle of small feet. A little girl appeared in the doorway, clutching a doll named Miss Peanut, dressed in a pink, sparkly dress. Seraphina, with her disheveled silver-blonde hair and red, sleepy eyes, peered over the edge of his desk. At four years old, she could just barely see over the surface, her small stature making her look even more vulnerable.

"Papa," she called out, her voice a fragile whisper that made Thalion's heart clench with worry. What was she doing up at this hour?

"Dear, you should be in bed," Thalion said gently, setting his papers aside. He stood up and walked over to her, lifting her into his arms and settling her on his lap. "Why are you still up walking the halls alone?"

"Grandma didn't read me to bed," Seraphina replied, her chin resting on his shoulder as she clung to him. "Granny's not... not in bed."

Thalion's heart ached. Seraphina had been at the funeral, but her young mind couldn't grasp the finality of death. To her, it must have seemed like Grandma had just disappeared.

"Flora, your Momma tucked you into bed, didn't she?" Thalion sighed, kissing the top of her head, the scent of her hair bringing a fleeting sense of comfort.

"Momma is... is not good at reading," Seraphina complained, shaking her head vigorously. "Granny does different voices, unlike Momma."

"Grandma does have a special talent for that, doesn't she?" Thalion chuckled softly, though there was a profound sadness in his eyes. His mother's animated storytelling had been a nightly ritual, one that Seraphina cherished.

"When will Granny come back, Papa?" Seraphina asked, her innocent eyes searching his face for answers.

"She's... she's not coming back, Seraphina," Thalion said, his voice breaking as he tried to keep it steady. "Grandma is gone."

"Gone?" Seraphina's face crumpled in confusion, her eyes widening with alarm. Tears welled up, ready to spill over. "Then we find her, Papa. Why did she leave?"

Thalion hugged his daughter tighter, feeling helpless in the face of her grief. "You're too young to understand, dear, but... your Grandma will never come back. But know that your Grandma will always watch over us, no matter how far she is now."

Seraphina sniffled, the reality of his words sinking in. She began to wail, a heart-wrenching sound that echoed through the silent room. Thalion flinched, his heart breaking as he heard her cries.