3

3

"Are you coming too? Tonight?"

"Where?" you ask, following Obito, who has offered you a walk. He holds out a skewer of sweet dangos, you take it and take a bite. Then you give it back and chew with a smile. Obito eats the rest, throws the stick away and crosses his hands behind his head.

"To me," he says, closing his eyes and letting the sun fall on his face as he continues to walk blindly. The scarred half, which he got thanks to an almost fatal accident during a mission, looks paler than the uninjured half and forms a tangible contrast. However, the headband covers half of the scarred mass and his missing eye as well. He had left it to Kakashi when he thought he was going to die. He never asked for it back and, in a way, bequeathed his Sharingan to Kakashi. Obito now even refers to it as a sign that he and Hatake were something like brothers. "I'm having a little party. My parents aren't here, so I'm going to let my hair down."

"Oh?" you say, pushing him playfully. "Let the pig out, eh? As if you didn't do that all the time anyway. Who's coming?" you want to know, sitting down on a bench because your legs hurt from all the training.

"The usual suspects."

"Be more specific."

"Well, everyone. Why do you want to know so precisely?" he asks and throws himself down next to you. "Should I invite someone in particular? Oh! Or are you afraid that someone will be there? Are you in love, Y/N? If so, who is the lucky one?"

"What?!", you reply a little louder than you normally would. "In love? Me, never! Don't talk nonsense, Obito."

"Too fast, too loud," he giggles and turns around to face you, sitting cross-legged. "I think I've caught you!"

"Who caught who doing what?"

You turn around in shock and look up at Kakashi and Iruka, who are standing behind you. "Holy shit!" you grumble and put your hand on your heart, which is suddenly beating much too fast. And not just because of the shock. The dream from last night flashes through your mind and your cheeks turn red. "Do you have to scare me like that?"

Iruka laughs melodically. "Since when have you been so sensitive, Y/N?"

"Y/N was just telling me who she has her eye on. I think the answer will determine whether she comes to the party tonight or not."

You slap Obito on the arm and grit your teeth. "Don't talk rubbish, you moron. I'm not in love, okay? I just wanted to know who was coming," you defend yourself, but you realise that your sentences are coming too loudly and too quickly. Kakashi and Iruka stand in front of you and Obito sits up properly.

He rests his arms on his knees. "All right, then, you don't want to tell me," he mutters and scratches his head.

You roll your eyes, but have to smile. Your gaze wanders to the two shinobi and you look up at Iruka, who is amused, and then at Kakashi. Your smile fades dangerously as you hold your ground against the thoughtful and cold look. A sparkle flashes in it and you swallow before turning back to Obito.

"I'm coming. Even if it's only to prove to you that I don't make it dependent on who comes and who doesn't." He laughs and Iruka also begins to smile more broadly. "What?" you ask, well aware that Kakashi's icy gaze is still on your face. Unfortunately, this only makes your cheeks redder, even though he was an asshole of the first order again today during the exercises. At some point, your father even took him aside to do exercises with him alone. So why are you only putting him through the same?

"You'd better prove yourself in training," Kakashi mutters, not exactly quietly, and you glare at him angrily.

I should get rid of these stupid feelings as soon as possible, you think to yourself and press your lips together into a thin line.

"I'm looking forward to seeing you, Y/N," says Iruka before you can tell Kakashi where he can stick his mood. Iruka smiles and tilts his head slightly. "If you ask me, you're not around enough when we're doing something. And when that mutton isn't around, you're never with us," he adds, pointing at Uchiha. "We all like you. You're nice and funny. Which is why we don't really understand why you're so withdrawn."

"Well, now I'm coming," you say somewhat embarrassed, because you don't know how to react. They liked you? You know that you are not unpopular and that you get along well with many people, but apart from Rin and Obito, you don't really have any friends worth mentioning. And that was okay, because better two good ones than twenty fleeting ones.

"Now you're coming," Iruka repeats, and you think you can see a slight blush on his cheeks. He clears his throat and then turns to Kakashi, who is now also looking at the shinobi. "We should go. Asuman and Yamato are waiting."

He bows in farewell and leaves with Kakashi. You watch them for a while.

"What does he have against me?" you ask before you can stop yourself.

"Who? Kakashi?"

"Who else?" you grumble, waving your hand back and forth. Now that you've asked the question, you might as well discuss the matter with your friend. Maybe he knows what's going on with him. "I certainly didn't mean Iruka."

"Who knows," he replies simply, leaning back. "You know how he is. You've known him just as long as I have."

"Yes, but he became your friend and mine... not. And I would really like to know why."

"Then you'll have to ask him yourself, because he's never given me an answer."

"You asked him about that?" You turn to Obito in surprise, who is again stretching his face into the sun with his eyes closed.

"Of course I did, Y/N. I'm not stupid. I've noticed that he seems to avoid you in particular when it comes to leisure activities. I mean, we trust each other unconditionally as a team, and that includes you and him. Kakashi would give his life for you, as would I, and vice versa, but why he avoids you in our free time, I don't understand. It's strange."

"And what does he say when you ask him?"

"Well, first of all, I've only asked him that once or twice. You make it sound like I have to do it every week." When he noticed your look, he said: "I'm just saying, Y/N. It just sounded like that. But to get back to the original question, Hatake just doesn't say anything about it. Not a word leaves his covered lips. The only thing he ever said was that he would treat you the same way he treats everyone else and that I was imagining it all."

You snort dismissively. "That's a lie."

"I know," Obito replies, sighing. "But why do you care?"

"What do you mean? Kakashi is my team member, just like you. Why shouldn't I care?"

"Well, because you haven't cared about it for seven years, Y/N. That's why. Until today, you haven't said a word about wanting to be friends with Kakashi, or about the fact that it bothers you that it's not like that."

You just blink silently because you feel caught and don't know what to say. "I..." you start a sentence, but then you stop when you notice Obito's expression.

"So let's start again from the beginning," he jokes cheerfully and taps you on the shoulder because you have turned your head away to avoid his gaze. "Are you afraid that someone... let's say, a certain someone will come to the party? Someone for whom you seem to have a renewed interest? Someone with white hair, perhaps? Someone who has never shown his pretty face to anyone? Maybe his name is Kaka...« Obito doesn't get any further, because his fist hits his ribs. »Ouch! What was that for?«

"For the nonsense you're spouting, Obito Uchiha."

He laughs loudly and scratches his head. "We'll see, Y/N. We'll see." He walks away slowly, waving over his shoulder and seemingly heading home.

"Hey," you call after him. "What time should I be there?"

"Around eight is perfect," you hear him say before he turns the corner and disappears.

You rub your nose, try to control your pulse again and mumble to yourself. "Great, Y/N. Well done, you idiot."