29

29

"How does it feel to be a Jonin?" Rin walks to your side and nudges you playfully. "I still think it's crazy that you were waved through like that. You're really lucky. Although," she mumbles and then grins. "You would have passed with flying colours anyway."

"Would we?" you ask, still annoyed that your father and the heads of the families had simply decided that an examination was unnecessary for you. You still think that the reason given, that you had already proven yourselves as a team in training and had always carried out the missions in an exemplary manner, was unjustified. After all, that would still apply to some other teams. And no one was just declared a Jonin. "I think the Hokage made a mistake."

"And what would that be?" Rin asks, sitting down.

You have reached the ramen restaurant and you take the menu. You don't really need it, but you still look at it every time. As if anything would ever change, or you wouldn't just eat the normal noodle soup with meat and egg. "Think about it, Rin. I'm his daughter."

"Again, so?"

"It looks like he favours me over everyone else! After the accident and because I'm his child. And then there are the facts that his two favourite shinobi are in the very team that is appointed to Jonin without an exam."

"So the fact that you and Obito are his favourites has nothing to do with it."

You gasp. "I mean Uchiha and Hatake too," you grumble, and even though it's been almost a month, Kakashi's name still tastes like acid. Your heart still hurts and you look down at the floor to hide your stupid reaction. "I'm just his daughter, not his favourite."

"Don't be silly!" Rin laughs. "Just be happy that it's like that! Nobody mentioned anything about it being unfair or anything. Everyone's just happy to FINALLY be Jonin. Why can't you be too?"

"Yes, but then all that hard training was for nothing."

"Training is never in vain," you hear Obito say. He sits down next to Rin and puts his arm around her shoulders. "Or Rinni-Binni?"

She blushes and you grin. For a little over a week now, you've seen Obito seeking her out more often. They're now meeting alone too, and your buddy seems to finally realise that your girlfriend likes him. But as far as you know, they're not together. Not yet!

"No. It won't have been for nothing." Rin pushes his arm down, but touches his hand a little longer than necessary.

You grin again. "Now that you're here, can we order, or what? I'm really hungry. The last mission was exhausting and I need something in my stomach now."

"Are you already complaining about your first A-rank mission?"

You puff. "Of course! It wasn't easy without... without you."

"Ohhhh!" Obito says exaggeratedly and puts his face in his hands. "Do you miss me and Kakashi already?"

You tense up a little and Obito apologises with a wry smile. "Sorry," he mumbles silently so that Rin doesn't hear.

Although you don't want to admit it after what he did to you, after Kakashi had made such a fool of you, - or he deserved it - you actually miss him. Day and night. You didn't have a long relationship with him, and what it was was indefinable, but... nevertheless. You miss Kakashi. As much as you hate it! Your head knows it's stupid and you should be glad to have seen him just once after that day. But your heart, your heart screams his name every day. Over and over again.

Nevertheless, you now wave him off, smile forcedly and indicate to Obito that everything is fine. However, his expression betrays that he knows the truth.