12

12

You look at the clock and groan when you see that it is half past 2 in the morning. What the hell is that noise?

*KLONK*

There! Again!

With resignation and annoyance, you roll out of bed to see where the disturbing noise is coming from. You were actually quite happy that you had drifted into a dreamless sleep despite the day, but now the peace was probably over. Pretty sure that you wouldn't fall back to sleep as peacefully as before, you wrap yourself in your thin nightgown and sleepily slurp to the window. In doing so, you reach for the silver object out of reflex.

The next *CLANG* sounds exactly at the moment when you look out of the window. Startled, you flinch, almost stumble over your own mess and just barely manage to stifle a loud curse. A damn pebble has just smashed against your window and made your heart miss a beat. When you realise this, you step back to the window. Someone must have thrown it, and if you're right, you'll probably see a grinning Obito somewhere.

But you are wrong. It is not Obito who is sitting on the roof of the Yamanaka family's house.

Kakashi nods his head to the right and then disappears with a confident jump into the shadows of the next street. Your heart skips a beat again and struggles to find its normal rhythm.

What did he want? What did Hatake want at this time of night? And above all, what was he thinking, after such an action, to knock on your window?

You should really go back to bed and ignore that stupid, arrogant, moronic drunk and his rather successful invitation for you to follow him, but... unfortunately you don't listen to yourself. You just tie your thin coat tighter and open your window. With a last look at your room and a silent prayer that neither your mum nor your dad find out that you've snuck out, you too take a leap and land silently in the shadows.

Without knowing exactly where Kakashi is, you walk to him. But you find him very quickly. He is kneeling on the ground, his arms resting on his knees. A rather typical, casual and unfortunately very attractive posture, as you realise for the first time.

"What do you want?" you ask, gruffly, suppressing any feelings that threaten to surface.

He remains silent and does not look up, so you try again. This time in a more biting tone. "Do you actually know what time it is?"

He doesn't move, doesn't even seem to breathe, so still is his form.

"I'll give you a hint," you say, squinting your eyes. "It's half past two in the morning and you woke me up. So at least tell me why, since I got out of bed for you."

Silence. A cutting, malicious silence burns into your heart and makes your breathing faster. You look at him and with every second, one thing becomes clearer. You say what you think while you slowly turn away.

"You're a damn arrogant and selfish asshole, Kakashi Hatake. Has anyone ever told you that? I'm so done with you. What I thought I was feeling must have turned out to be a temporary knot in my brain. Because I really don't understand this shit anymore. I'm leaving now and I only want one thing from you in the future," you say angrily and turn back to him. Kakashi hasn't moved an inch. "Just leave me alone outside of the team, if you don't mind. Let's just go back to the way it was before. Do you understand? Yes? Wonderful! And now good night."

The first sign of emotion he shows is a loud wheeze that almost sounds like a laugh. "I'm not being selfish."

"What?", you ask, thinking you must have misheard. He can't be serious.

"I said I'm not selfish," Kakashi repeats, dangerously quietly, and through his mask it sounds a shade deeper.

The guy really means it. "It seems that way to me."

"I'm doing this because... Fuck! I'm only doing this because I like you, you stupid cow! And you just don't get it."

"Oh, sure! Yes, sorry that I didn't notice that, Hatake. Of course, silly me. You're just such a huge asshole because you like me. Now your shitty behaviour makes perfect sense. Hey, you know what, then maybe I have to apologise to you. I was so stupid not to realise that!"

"Save the sarcasm if you have no idea why and how I act the way I do."

"That got through to you? Good, I thought I'd have to go one better and get down on my knees in front of you."

"You really don't get it, do you?"

"NO! No, Kakashi, I don't understand you at all. For years, I was only worthy of your attention as part of a team, and suddenly, out of nowhere, this happens with Obito. You say that you want me, and all that crap. You kiss me, touch me, and then... you make it clear what I have to expect, and I understand. But then you suddenly burst into my date with Iruka and behave like a complete idiot. And now you're here to... well, what exactly? What do you want from me?«

"You don't understand," he repeats for the thousandth time, which then completely drives you up the wall.

"NO!", you almost scream into the night. "Who would, the way you behave? Even your friends don't know what's going on with you."

He laughs once, but otherwise remains unmoved. "Is that what your favourite Iruka says, yes? Let me worry about my friends."

"Sure." You grit your teeth, you've really had enough now. "Fuck you, you asshole! It's not your place to decide who's my favourite and who's not. Now tell me what you want or get out of my life." In pure frustration and exuberant anger, you throw the kunai that you always carry with you at him. But instead of hitting Kakashi, the wedge-shaped knife flies through the cloud left by the shadow double and crashes into the wall.

Tears well up in your eyes. "You know, I might have expected you to be too cowardly to give me an answer, but a shadow double? That's pathetic, even for you."

You turn away for good, only to collide with a chest.

"If you threw like that every time, I wouldn't always have to doubt your abilities as a shinobi. But you expect an answer?" Kakashi asks, grabbing you by the waist. He pulls you closer and you look up at him in surprise. "Everything. I want everything from you, (Y/N).