28

28

You pass through the gate and leave Konoha. You run headlong into the forest and circle the city. It's the route your father makes you walk to warm up your muscles before a particularly hard workout. Or to punish you for something. The wind tears and tugs at you. Your chakra is almost used up, but you're still a long way from your goal. Wherever that may be. Your feet are already hurting and your tears are pushed over your cheek by the wind and disappear into your hairline.

But you run, run, run and run some more. Until you stand on the large stone structure that towers high above Konoha and shows all the Hokage carved in stone.

With a courageous leap, you jump over the barrier and climb onto the head of the honourable Hashirama Senju. The sun is about to set, painting glittering dots on the roofs and streets. Even though it will be hours before Konoha goes to sleep, the city seems strangely sleepy to you today. The view is so beautiful that you sob and sit down on the rock, feeling clumsy and powerless. You are exhausted. So damn exhausted!

"Shit," you curse softly and wipe your nose and eyes with your sleeve. "Shit!"

You are overcome by an all-encompassing tiredness and have to admit to yourself once again that all these feelings can only have one reason. On the way here, you were able to convince yourself that you didn't care about the encounter. That what was said and seen could simply bounce off you and that you just had to understand that you had made a stupid little mistake with him. That it was all not so bad and that you were not hurt to the last nerve. You told yourself that it was like that and that you wouldn't break down because of him and that you would just pretend that nothing had happened. Just like him. It all worked well on the way here. But now? Now it doesn't work anymore. More tears walk to your cheek and you sob.

Then a falcon screeches and you watch the bird flying above you disappear into the clouds. A wave of anger shakes you and you pull a nasty smile. "Fine! Obito was right. So what? It doesn't mean anything," you grumble quietly and throw a loose pebble from you. "So Kakashi has been playing me for a fool! So he played his little game with me. What's the big deal? It's not as if everyone warned me. I'm a fool. But no! I had to think I was special enough to Kakashi... I thought he was in love with me, the idiot!« A stifled laugh escapes you. »Oh man! I'm so stupid!« A new stone flies over the edge in a high arc and you repeat yourself. "It doesn't mean anything!"

"That's not right," Obito suddenly corrects you and sits down next to you. He doesn't look at you, but takes you in his arms and holds you close. Tears stream uninhibitedly down your face as his comforting warmth envelops you. They wash away the short feeling of anger and hatred and simply and unasked replace it with a painful and cold sadness. You sob again and your shoulder trembles as your fingers dig into Uchiha's cloak. He gives you support and lets every tear flow without comment. He doesn't tell you that he was right or how foolish you were. Obito holds you tighter in his arms and gives you the comfort you need. And again and again he whispers two things in turn. "It means something, (Y/N). But I'm here for you and you don't have to go through it alone."

***

"How did you know I was here?" You wrap your arms around your legs and put your chin on your knees. Your friend shifts uncomfortably and you actually laugh. You are repulsed by him. "You followed me, didn't you?"

"Yes," he admits. "Right at the beginning."

"Then-"

"Yep. I realised what was happening." He scratches his head. "I'm sorry. I didn't know that-"

"It's okay," you interrupt him this time. "At least now I don't have to tell you what happened." He nods and you look back at the city. You sigh as a new tear breaks free and rolls down your cheek. You wipe it away with determination. "I... I don't understand."