5

5

Some guests have already left and a few more are just saying goodbye, so there are only about twenty of us left. They include Asuma, Obito, Rin, Gai, Kurenai, Yamato and Iruka. The latter has his arm around you and is talking to Itachi Uchiha, who has joined the group. You and Iruka have danced through a few songs and had a lot of fun. You laughed and when a somewhat slower song was played, he took you in his arms and rocked you back and forth. It wasn't unpleasant, but...

Your gaze drifts to Kakashi, who has not paid you any attention since the moment in the kitchen. He is currently talking to Rin, casually leaning against the wall that leads up the stairs. The fabric of his mask moves and a quiet laugh floats over to you. Rin strokes her hair behind her ear and blushes, while a queasy feeling spreads through your stomach.

What was she doing? Rin has been in love with Obito since you can remember, and although she had a meaningless relationship with him from time to time, it was always just a cover to make the idiot jealous. You promised Rin not to talk to Obito, which is probably why he didn't know about it. In the relationship, Obito was really naive. He can tell who likes whom, but for some reason he doesn't understand that she likes him.

"Y/N?" someone asks and you turn around. Itachi looks at you expectantly and his mouth corners turn up.

"Yes?"

He laughs. "I was asking if you'd like to go to the cinema with us."

"Sure," you say, a little confused. "Just tell me when."

Now everyone is laughing and Kurenai leans over to whisper something in Asuma's ear. He nods and grins. "Itachi already has," the Iruka replies and you are startled because he is so close to you. You almost forgot that he has his arm on your shoulder. "The day after tomorrow," he says and you nod.

Your attention flickered back to Kakashi, who seemed to have moved closer to Rin. You swallowed and turned away, because the unpleasant tingling in your stomach was increasing immensely. Your heart was racing and you were sliding back and forth on the sofa. "Yes, sure. Why not? What film?" you wanted to know, and from the expressions on the others' faces, you realised that this information had already been given. "War of the Hokage 7? Right?"

"Ahhh, look at that! She was listening after all," Asuma jokes, and Kurenai snuggles up against his chest. "Is it strange to watch the film now that your father is one of the Kage?"

"Not at all," you reply. You look at Obito, who is apparently also watching Kakashi and Rin, and notice that his expression is somehow dark. You noticed it, but apparently no one else did. Does it bother him as much as you? Does he perhaps have an idea about Rin? You follow his gaze and when you look at him for the third time, Kakashi raises a hand and tugs at a strand of Rin's hair. Without thinking, you jump up and everyone looks at you.

"Is everything okay?" Iruka wants to know and reaches for your hand. You pull it away, because the touch that was just fine for you now feels so wrong that it makes you feel sick.
"Yes, everything's fine. I just have to go to the toilet." With these words, you leave and curse yourself when you realise that you now have to pass Kakashi and Rin, because that very toilet was on the upper floor.
Damn, you think, but you just keep walking. The two of them don't even seem to notice you as you walk past them, take the stairs and only stop in front of the bathroom. You go inside and then lean against the door.

"Damn," you curse to yourself and walk to the mirror. "That was a great exit, Y/N. Now everyone thinks you're a moron." You wash your face with water, but the hoped-for feeling of freshness does not come. Your heart is still racing and your stomach... "Well, I think I drank a bit too much," you say to yourself, but you know that it's not the alcohol that's responsible for this feeling.

Since you can't hide here forever, you dry your face and decide to tell the others that you are tired and want to go home. With a nod in the mirror, you turn around, open the door and carelessly bump into someone. Kakashi looks down at you.

"So that's where you are."

"Huh?"

His eyes flash and he says in a strange tone: "Iruka is already missing you."

"Well then, I'd better go and see him," you say. "You can go in. But don't stay too long, because I assume that good Rin will miss you just as much as your buddy misses me."

"And if I don't want to go to her?" he asks, and you look at him. His breath reeks of sake and his eye is shining. Earlier, he didn't seem drunk, but now it's different.

"Then who are you looking for, Hatake? There's no one up here but the rest of us and me. Most of the female guests have left. Only Rin and Kurenai are still here. And since I assume that the latter is not your target..." You leave the sentence unfinished and shrug your shoulders. "Go relieve yourself and let me through, please."

He laughed softly, his voice muffled and deep through the mask. "You talk too much."

"And you still won't let me through."

He comes closer and you step back. "Do you like Iruka?"

"What?"

"Do you like him?" he repeats, taking another step towards you. He fixes you with his gaze.

You speak against the lump in your throat. "I don't see what business it is of yours. It would be like me asking you if you like Rin."

Another step. "I like her, but not in the way you might think."

"Okay, fine," you reply, but your heart literally screams with relief and the nausea disappears. "Can I then now..."

"I've answered you, Y/N. Now it's your turn." Kakashi has pushed you back so far that you are standing in the bathroom again. "Do you like him? Is Iruka the reason why you wanted to know who is here tonight?" You look at him irritated and when voices are heard from downstairs, your eyes dart to the door. Kakashi closes it without taking his eyes off you.

"What are you doing?" you ask, looking at him. "Why did you close the door?" You notice that your breathing is getting faster and your heart is starting to pump faster again. But you also realise that Kakashi is breathing faster too. "What do you want, Kakashi?"

For an endless second he does not answer and only his gaze on you prevents you from sinking to your knees.

"You," he says, then, in a deep voice, surprising you with the next act so that you don't understand what is happening at first.

Kakashi overcomes the distance between you and places his lips on yours. Somehow he has taken off his mask when he lowered his head, and you didn't notice. But even if you had, you would have been just as shocked, because... He kissed you. And this time you are sure that it is not a dream.

His lips are incredibly soft and warm and after you have overcome the initial shock and he puts his hand on the back of your neck, you return the kiss while your heart swells with happiness.

Kakashi Hatake is kissing you.