27

27

You walk to the street and push the fifth inhabitant of Konoha a little roughly out of the way. You are so insecure that you don't even apologise to the people, but just keep walking. Further and further and further, until you finally stand in front of the building where Kakashi is supposed to live. His accommodation is one of the upper ones, so you climb the stairs after a short breather. With every step, however, you are more and more certain that your friend was talking nonsense. It had to be like that.

What Obito told you had to be nonsense. But still, as soon as your mum was back home, you went straight out. You told her you wanted to visit Rin, so she didn't ask any questions and let you go with Uchiha. But you left Obito standing at the first corner. But only after he had reluctantly given you the address you needed. Because although you've known Hatake for years, you've never known where he lives. Now, however, you're standing in front of the door, staring at the green-painted wood. Five whole minutes! Five minutes in which you go over what Obito told you in your mind.

Kakashi had disappeared again. But when he arrived in Konoha this morning, he didn't pass through the gate alone. Someone was with him. A woman. His age. A pretty young lady, if Obito Kurenai believed him, and a hot shot, if the stories of Asuma and Itachi are true.

Either way, you don't like either of them.

Hatake was seen with her, taking her back to his place, and when Gay asked him what or who she was, he just raised his eyebrows meaningfully and put an arm around her shoulders.

All of this could just be the exaggerated hyperbole that the male shinobi sometimes came up with. You knew yourself how they always exaggerated everything. When you danced with Iruka at the party, it was also said that it was like a hot prelude. Which is absolute nonsense! That's why the talk about the new stranger bothered you less. It could simply be an acquaintance or even a relative. Besides, Obito had only heard all this from someone who had heard it from someone who was supposed to have seen it.

What really hurt you, though, was the answer that Obito was able to give you first-hand. When Obito asked him what was going on with you, Kakashi had apparently made it very clear to him that it was nothing. He had assured Obito that he was absolutely not interested in a relationship with me and that he had explained exactly that to him during their conversation. Everything I thought about it was just a figment of my imagination. He didn't want me and he certainly wasn't in love with me.

That is what he is said to have told his best friend Obito.

To your best friend.

You swallow dryly and raise your hand. That was nonsense. Kakashi had already told you how he felt about you. He said: He wants you. And there was no doubt about that. Or was there? At first you also thought Kakashi was no good for you. You thought his behaviour was stupid and mean. But then he confessed to you that he also felt more for you. That he was in love with you too. So why should this stupid nonsense be the truth? Why should Kakashi tell Obito that you mean nothing to him and that you're imagining things?

You clench your fists and knock on the door several times, trembling. Then you wait. But thank God you don't have to wait long and the wooden front door opens with a creak. Kakashi's head appears in the small gap that the door opens. He is just adjusting his mask and when he sees you, his eyes widen for a short moment. Then his gaze flickers back into his apartment. Just for a second.

"What do you want here?" he asks, looking back at you. His tone is frosty and you frown.

"Um... I wanted to see you." You take a step towards him and put your hand on the door to open it a little further. "Can I come in? I think we should talk shortly."