Chapter 16- "I can hear everything."

(((Niall’s POV)))

“I baked cookies for you,” my mum said when we walked in the door. It was around 5:30 in the morning and we had been driving all night. Even though my mum’s cookies are THE best, they could wait until I had at least eight hours of sleep.

“Thanks,” I replied giving her a kiss on the cheek. “I’m going to go up to bed. If you don’t mind, can I go to dad’s house tomorrow?” I asked hesitantly.

“I’m sure he would love to see you. Now go get some rest,” she smiled sweetly at me and gestured for me to go to my bedroom. I nodded once before leaving the front door and following the hallway to my room that I stayed in when I visited my mum.

It was the same way I had left it in June; a complete utter mess. I sighed and walked over to my bed before collapsing on the duvet that smelled like my cologne. I tossed and turned for hours finding it almost impossible to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

It was nine in the morning when I finally gave up. I threw my covers to the side and walked outside to find my mum, already busy making breakfast in the kitchen.  

“Well you’re up earlier than I expected,” she laughed flipping one of the pancakes on the stove. I pulled out a chair from the table and took a seat.

“I couldn’t sleep,” I replied putting my head in my hands.

“Well obviously,” she said. “I called your father. He said you can come whenever you are ready.”

“Alright. Guess I will just go pack,” I said standing up.

“Before breakfast?” my mum asked with her eyebrows raised.

“I’m not really hungry,” I replied shrugging.

She ran over to me and placed the back of her hand on my forehead. “Mum what are you doing?” I asked.

“Niall are feeling okay? You said you aren’t hungry!” she said. Her face was so serious and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“I’m just not hungry.”

“No, there is something bothering you,” she insisted. I shook my head and walked out of the kitchen. I didn’t have to tell her what happened between Chloe and I. She would probably call Chloe’s mum causing more drama than there already is.

~:~

I walked right into my dad’s house not bothering to knock. Knowing him, he probably has the TV blasting watching a football game and wouldn’t be able to hear me anyways. As usual, there were dirty socks and food crumbs strewn across the floor. Ever since my parents divorced, the house became one big man cave. Nobody was there to tell him to clean up, and I don’t really blame him for not doing it himself.

“Dad I’m home!” I yelled walking down the hallway. Just I suspected, the telly was on and a football match filled the screen. “Dad!” I yelled waving my hands in front of the TV.

“Oh hey Nialler!” he greeted me, standing up from the couch to give me a hug. Hugging is kind of my family’s thing. Everybody loves a good ‘Horan hug’.

I pulled away and made myself comfortable on the couch. Even though I love football, I put on a re-run of ‘Friends’. I hadn’t watched it all summer and it’s one of my favorite shows. My dad shook his head.

“You’re really going to sit here and watch TV all day? I thought you were coming to visit me,” he said pretending to be hurt by my actions.

“Well what do you suppose we do instead?” I asked raising my eyebrows.  Just as I asked, Greg came running down the stairs. He stopped frozen in his spot when he saw me, blinking a few times to make sure he was seeing right. “It’s me Greg,” I laughed.