Vol.20 Ch.7: An Early Pickoff

The trio dove deeper into the enemy side of the jungle. However, so far, there was no sign of the enemy.

"C'mon already!" Cornelia said. "I command you to show yourselves!" She checked left, then right, then left, and then right again. "Step forth so I can deliver you swift death!"

As if responding to her provocative call, a player showed up from around the corner. It was Average, the enemy Jungler. As a Lv. 1 Chronomancer, he was the easier target out of the options.

"Let us go!" Fiona charged at the prey without further ado. The man did not notice them at first, which gave them the initiative.

"Cornelia, throw your axe at him before he notices us."

"Right on it!" Ohoho! The unsuspecting prey had absolutely no idea what was going to hit him!

And indeed, the poor prey's mind was elsewhere at the moment.

Okay, so the next ward should be around here... Dan casually strolled through the jungle without a single care in the world. After all, it was the opening, the most chill part of the game. There wasn't anything to worry about, or so he thought.

BAM! An axe lunged into his shoulder outta nowhere! "What the-!?"

Then, in the very next moment: SLASH! SLASH! Razor-sharp claws tore him asunder out of the blue!

"W-What's going on-!?" Dan's brain struggled to catch up to the insane situation in front of him. The enemy Werewolf was all over him, ravaging his flesh without any mercy!

The deep cuts from Grievous Assault caused a Bleeding state, making Dan lose additional HP every second. But, the Werewolf had no intention of stopping there. Rosemary continued to tirelessly unleash her claws at Dan! SLASH! SLASH!

To make things worse, that crazy wolf woman wasn't alone. She was accompanied by two more allies, Berserker and Sage!

"The heck they're all doing here!?" Dan cried out. A-Anyway, I gotta scram! Like, fast!

Except, he didn't have any escape tools at the ready! He already used his one skill point to unlock Chronostatis, the class's primary framing tool! Dang it!

Both Time Portal and Haste could've really helped him right now, but Dan never imagined he'd need these skills so early into the game...!

Amidst the panic, Dan's first instinct was to roll away ASAP! So, he did exactly that.

Fortunately, the enemy started attacking him as soon as he popped around the jungle wall. It meant he could easily head back the way he came from and try to lose the attackers amidst the thick walls of the jungle.

Thus, Dan rolled out of the enemy's view. Or, at least, that was the intention.

He executed the roll itself without any problem, but he forgot one important detail. Even though he rolled away, there was an axe still stuck in his shoulder. Said axe was connected to the Berserker via a chain.

"Oh, shi-! GAH!" WHISH! The enemy abruptly reeled in the axe, dragging Dan along with it!

The situation was turning from bad to worse. The chain pulled Dan out of the denser parts of the jungle, to a region that could best be described as an open area. Nuuuuuuuu!

Dan found himself surrounded by three enemies: Werewolf, Berserker, and Sage. Needless to say, his chances of making it out alive weren't looking so hot right now...

Weeeeelp. If I can't run, then might as well fight back! Dan cast Chronostasis right between the Berserker and the Sage. These amateurs didn't keep enough space between each other, so Dan was gonna smack them both!