Chapter 01

Again, and as usual.

    The former convict who labeled himself never seemed to disappear even though he was acting like a human.

    He has been breathing free air for two years and in these two years he has also had difficulty finding work. He should be able to easily get a job, because while he was behind jail , he was equipped with the ability to make cakes and other skills which they said could be used to survive out there. However, it was not as easy as reality.

    Almost all types of lower class jobs have been tried. From washing dishes at food stalls, looking after basic food stalls, as a porter at the port, delivering goods, to picking up school children. However, once again in reality, when they found out he was an ex-convict, that's when his job ended.

    Singgih sat on a bench on the side of the road eating fried food. He doesn't know how much mendoan tempeh eaten until his mouth now has an oily sheen. His eyes went back and forth watching - perhaps looking like he was counting - the number of vehicles passing in front of him. He seemed to have lost his way.

    "If I stay here," Singgih picked up the last remaining mendoan in plastic, "I won't get a job." He stuffed his mouth again with mendoan. "I have to get out of here!" he said determinedly.

    Singgih got up from his seat and left the plastic packet used for fried food. After only a few steps, he turned around again to pick up the rubbish he had left behind, then threw it into the rubbish bin.

    The man really has no purpose. However, his steps always took him to an empty house that had been uninhabited for seven years. The house looked like a house that appeared in a courage test program on TV.

    "I should have listened to you," groaned Singgih, disappointed with himself. "Sorry, Noe...."

    He doesn't know how many sorry sentences were said, but never received a reply.

    Singgih stared at the door of the house, hoping - even if it was small - for the figure he was waiting for to appear from behind the door and smile at him.

    "What time is it, huh?" Singgih scolded while tapping his index finger on his watch. "Hurry up!"

    "Okay. Okay." Noela tied her hair. A moment later she was running away from Singgih.

    "Hey, Noe, wait!" Singgih chased behind.

    "Hurry up! It's almost late! Anyway, if I get punished by Pak Gi," Noela's lips parted, "it's because of you."

    Singgih managed to catch up with Noela and was already several steps ahead of the girl. Laughing in victory amidst the sweat that was starting to wet his white and gray uniform.

    A piece of memory that always lingers in his mind. Who continues to hope that those memories will materialize in his life again. He missed Noela... his little friend.

    "Still no news?" scolded a old man who managed to pull Singgih's daydreams from the past.

    Singgih turned his body backwards. Smiled at the old man - Noela's next door neighbor. Actually, he didn't know the old man, only that the old man always asked him to talk every time he met him.

    "Aren't you going to join the search for missing people program on TV?" Emil approached Singgih. "Who knows, the crew might be able to help search for it."

    Singgih smiled briefly. Great idea - for other people, but not for him. Taking part in a reality show like that is the same as announcing to all corners of the archipelago that he is an ex-convict.