Chapter 05

Singgih along the small path between the towering trees. Occasionally looking back to make sure Daisy was still following him, even though he was far behind.

    Daisy's face turned pale. It felt like she couldn't walk any further. Her legs weaken; and when her footing was no longer strong, her body leaned forward; Suddenly, in a quick movement, Singgih managed to catch Daisy's arm.

    "Let's rest first."

    "No..." Daisy shook her head. "What if the kidnapper catches me again?"

    "I will face them."

    "You should have faced them. Instead of running like this. It makes me tired. And now we're lost," sighed Daisy.

    Daisy started walking again, but her steps became unsteady. Once again Singgih caught Daisy's arms.

    "Can you still walk?"

    "Yes. Of course." Daisy showed annoyance.

    Singgih let Daisy walk alone until a few small steps forward, Daisy's body staggered and sat on the ground. There was a grunt from the girl.

    "Mama... I want to go home..." Daisy whined.

    Singgih squatted with his back to Daisy. "Get on my back."

    "I can still walk..."

    "Okay." Singgih nodded in understanding. "If you fall, you have to get up yourself. I won't help you."

    Daisy's hand grabbed Singgih's arm who was about to stand up. "Help me."

    Singgih squatted down again. A faint smile spread over his shoulder.

    Daisy started to put her arm around Singgih's shoulders. A moment later she was on the man's back. This was the first time she had been carried by a man. Her body suddenly stiffened and...

    What kind of nervousness is this?

    Quoting Gendis' words, she said, if your heart beats fast because of a man, that is one of the symptoms of falling in love. Daisy laughed scornfully inside. She firmly denied to herself that it was impossible for her heart to fall for a man so quickly. It seems impossible, right, she fell in love at first sight.

    Daisy observes Singgih. Without realizing it, she breathed behind Singgih's ear, which suddenly made Singgih shiver with amusement.

    "Hey." Daisy's voice broke the silence of the forest. "Instead of taking me to the police station, it's better to take me to a place to eat. I haven't eaten since yesterday. This morning I only ate bread. That's not full either," she confided. "Then I have to run. It's like someone running a marathon. That's why I'm really tired. My legs are shaking. And, now my head is dizzy."

    Suddenly Daisy leaned her head on Singgih's shoulder.

    Singgih gasped in surprise. Even though it was uncomfortable, he let the girl lean on his shoulder.

    "I can make you a simple meal. That's if you want."

    "Want to ...." Daisy's voice sounded thin in the silence of the forest. "How come I'm so sleepy...?"

    Daisy's eyes closed by themselves.

    *

    Singgih observed Daisy sleeping on the bed through the doorway. Feeling sure that the girl was fine, he then closed the door from the outside.

    "Give applause to our heroes." Reas clapped from the dining table.

    Singgih doesn't like Reas' jokes. He pulled up a chair in front of Reas. "She offered me a hundred million if I freed her and gave me another hundred million if I could take her home."

    "Wow." Reas was amazed. "She must be a rich man's daughter. With that kind of money you could go to Germany." Suddenly he became enthusiastic.

    Singgih's flat expression implied that he was doubtful about Reas' proposed plan. "It's difficult to survive here, especially if you have to survive in someone else's country. It's like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack."

    "Did you know?" Reas took a bite of grilled sticky rice. "We came all the way from Semarang to here, then you met that two hundred million girl." He swallowed his chewing. "That's called fate."

    Singgih took the grilled sticky rice, took a bite, then chewed slowly while thinking.

    "Everything we do and what we do has been arranged by God. If we don't come here, you won't be able to meet that two hundred million girl. This means that you have been given a way to find Ajeng."

    Singgih nodded confirming Reas' words.

    A month ago, after Singgih returned from Jakarta, he continued to live his days as usual. But this time he worked harder to raise money so he could go to Germany to look for Ajeng. A week ago, Singgih and Reas transported and delivered goods to the home of *Nek Ipon - Fadil's relative, as well as to help Nek Ipon who lives alone.
(*Nenek/Nek = grandmother).

    "I joined a school group and asked about Ajeng. They only said that Ajeng took medical school at UGM, then moved to Germany. That's all they know. They said Ajeng also cut off contact with her friends."

    "Do you know why Ajeng just disappeared?"

    Singgih demanded an explanation from Reas.

    "Because she feels guilty."

    "Yeah, and she managed to make my life this bitter." Singgih smiled bitterly.

    "Ajeng and Rolan have lived comfortably for too long. Now is the time for you to ask for your rights. You once said you wanted to live in peace and get a job, right? Every person in this country has the right to justice." Reas kindles the fire of enthusiasm. "Remember, Nggih. I will always support you."

    "Thanks."

    "I'll always be here for you."

    "Aah, ticklish." Singgih was amused.
    Reas chuckled.

    ***