Chapter 07

"WELCOME." Daisy pushed open the door. "In my apartment." Her hands opened wide to welcome Singgih's arrival at her apartment located in the Kemang area.

    They arrived safely in Jakarta. Singgih kept her promise by taking Daisy to the girl's parents' home in Bintaro.

    This was the first time Singgih saw a very dramatic scene.

    Daisy's mother hugged her daughter as if she had just returned from the battlefield. The mother and child hugged each other while crying... which in Singgih's eyes was too much. Daisy's mother's eyeliner smudged and made her eyes black as if she had been sprayed with squid ink. Meanwhile, Daisy's father had decided to find a bodyguard to look after her daughter for twenty-four hours.

    "Pa, I've found a bodyguard who will look after me." That's when Daisy introduced Singgih to her parents. "His name is Singgih."

    "Where did you find it?" Papa Daisy probed. Sharp and firm.

    "He saved me. Gave me food. And, I felt like I was alive again." Daisy approached her father, then put her arm around her father. "Let him take care of me. Yes, Papa, okay?"

    Papa Daisy refused. There was even an argument between father and daughter. At times like this, a mother's voice immediately closes the ongoing debate.

    "This young man has saved our daughter. And, our beloved daughter is back safe. There's no harm in trying this young man to be Daisy's bodyguard."

    Papa Daisy watched Singgih closely. Then cleared his throat loudly. "Three months. Papa will see his performance for three months," he said to Singgih who was still standing still.

    "Thanks, Pah." Daisy's feet stomped a little.

    After dinner accompanied by nostalgia, Daisy then said goodbye to her apartment. Even though her mother forbade her and asked her to stay at home, Daisy was adamant that she had to go back to her apartment, because she still had a pile of work that had been waiting for her for the past two days.

    "Come in." Daisy greeted Singgih who was still standing outside the door.

    Singgih was still unmoved.

    "Why don't you come in? I don't bite, you know." Daisy chuckled to herself at her joke.

    "I've taken you home. And, you also arrived at your apartment safely. Don't forget to transfer my two hundred million."

    "Give me your account number. Tomorrow morning I will immediately transfer your ten million salary. I'll pay in advance."

    "I never said I wanted to be your bodyguard."

    "Then who is my bodyguard?"

    "Your father can find someone more reliable. Not an ex-con like me."

    Daisy choked. Then she burst out laughing at Singgih's joke. From the start she knew that Singgih was not interested in being her bodyguard, and this was definitely just an excuse to scare her. Cheap excuses.

    "Your joke isn't funny."

    Singgih just stared coldly. Then he said honestly, "I was in prison for ten years. Do you know what case?" he paused only to see Daisy's response. "Murder."

    Daisy's body froze. The joke that Singgih made this time was no longer funny.

    "Still want to hire me as a bodyguard?"