Chapter 31

Luckily, Daisy often helps Gendis whenever she cooks in her apartment, so she can quickly help Grandma Ipon cook in the kitchen with - oh my gosh - a fireplace, where she starts a fire by blowing with bamboo. As a result, she coughed due to the rising smoke, and her eyes even felt sore from the heat of the fireplace.

    Oh, she wouldn't know life was so hard if she didn't live it directly.

    She could still live a hard life like this compared to the heavy heart she would have to endure if she ended up marrying Rolan.

    After cooking, Daisy followed Singgih looking for twigs in the back forest. Daisy's feet skipped lightly from one Singgih's footprint to the next. Like a child who is only allowed to go out after finishing her homework.

    "That was your first time cooking, right?"

    Singgih bent down and picked up the branches on the ground.

    "Hm~mmh." Daisy mumbled no. "Every time Gendis cooks in my apartment, I always help with the cooking. Yes, even though my cooking isn't as delicious as Gendis's, I can also cook. But if I cook on the stove like that, it's my first time. I have to buy Nek Ipon a gas stove, so that Nek Ipon doesn't have to blow on it anymore. Ouch, my eyes are really sore. How did Nek Ipon survive all these years, huh?" She shook her head, unable to imagine.

    "It's hard, isn't it, living like Nek Ipon?" stood facing Daisy with several twigs in his arms around his waist. "Whenever you want to go home—"

    "No!" Daisy interrupted quickly. "Honestly, I really want to go home, but I don't want to marry Rolan. You're Rolan's friend, right? You know how he is."

    "That is not what I mean." Singgih tried to straighten out his words. "Running away isn't the only way to show your dislike. Have you ever talked to your father about the reasons you don't want to be married to Rolan?"

    Daisy was silent.

    "Not yet, right?" Singgih could read Daisy's silent answer. "Parents definitely want the best for their children. It's just that - perhaps parents' methods are wrong because they are too pushy. If you really don't like it, say what's in your heart. If you just keep quiet, your parents won't understand. I'm sure your parents will definitely understand."

    "Papa will definitely forbid us from meeting."

    Singgih smiled faintly when he heard Daisy's anxiety. "When you're like this, I feel like someone is worried about me."

    Daisy stared closely at Singgih. "Right now I don't have anything. In fact I'm trying to rely on myself. But because Mas Singgih was with me, I felt like I wasn't alone and could get through it."

    "Because I am your bodyguard. Of course I will look after you." Singgih smiled, then turned around to go back to looking for twigs.

    Daisy remained silent in place. She doesn't want Singgih to be her bodyguard. She wants Singgih to be more than just a bodyguard.

    "I... like Mas Singgih."

    Singgih's steps stopped. The pounding in his heart started beating again when he heard Daisy's confession. The girl had the same feelings as him. Honestly, he likes her, but once again he emphasizes that he is not in a situation to fall in love.

    Singgih turned his body. His gaze immediately met Daisy's.

    "Don't waste your time liking me."

    Daisy stepped closer to Singgih. "I've come this far." Her steps stopped right in front of Singgih. She looked closely at her bodyguard's eyes. "And, I can't go back any longer. This is where we met for the first time. Do you still remember what I called you?"