Chapter 12

"Lie?" Rolan looked annoyed.

    "I'm not like you who is good at lying."

    "We need to talk."

    Rolan let go of his girlfriend's hand which was clinging to his arm. He was unable to hide his anger. His gaze glanced at Singgih before walking out of the shop.

    "Wait here," Daisy asked Singgih, then followed Rolan.

    They talked in front of the glass walls of the Coffee Taste library. Rolan seemed to occasionally glance into the shop to observe Singgih.

    "Where do you know him?" Rolan said as soon as Daisy stopped behind him.

    Daisy gasped in surprise. "What's your business?"

    "Do you know what kind of person he is?"

    "What kind of person is he? Do you know him?"

    Rolan's lips trembled to speak, but his voice was stuck in his throat. His hands clenched into fists in anger.

    "Don't believe what he says."

    "You know him?" Daisy's voice turned curious.

    "He's a dangerous man."

    "How dangerous?"

    "Just find out for yourself." Rolan grinned a cynical smile, then left Daisy.

    Daisy was silent, confused. He glanced through the glass wall and saw Singgih walking out towards him.

    Daisy's body didn't move. Where was her confidence five minutes ago when she took Singgih's arm?

    "You know Rolan?" Daisy immediately asked questions when Singgih stood in front of her.

    "What did he say?"

    "He said I had to find out about you."

    "Only that?"

    Daisy's gaze sharpened. "Is there anything you're hiding?"

    "You already know my biggest secret, right?"

    "Ex-con."

    Singgih's head turned left and right just to make sure no one heard what Daisy had just said. He no longer wants to be looked down upon when they find out who he is.

    "Where do you want maksi? I'll take you."

    And, through out the journey, amidst traffic jams and motorbikes with green jackets crowding the side of the road, not a sound came out of Daisy's chatty mouth. A thousand words of silence. Only the sound of two radio DJs shouting at each other broke the silence in the car.

    "Are you sure you don't know Rolan?"

    "He said he knew me?" Singgih kept his eyes focused on the road ahead.

    "From his words it seems like he knows you."

    Singgih laughed dryly. "How could someone like me know someone like that? Maybe?" his head turned briefly to Daisy, then back to the front.