Chapter 38

Chapter 38

The day of the school sports meet quickly arrived.

The sports meet at Huiying High School was held over two days: the first and second mornings were dedicated to various athletic competitions, while the second afternoon featured performances by each class.

Lu Yao had just finished running the men's 200 meters and qualified for the finals as the first in his group. To allow the participating students to recover their stamina, the finals were scheduled two hours later.

Each class had its own base camp by the side of the playground.

Lu Yao, stretching his long legs, was sitting under a tent. Jiang Bai was sitting next to him, and the two were chatting idly.

Lu Qi, who had entered the men's 1000 meters race, was warming up outside the tent. When he looked back, he saw Lu Yao and the scheming Jiang Bai chatting happily.

Lu Qi cleared his throat and deliberately raised his voice to interrupt them. He directed at Lu Yao inside the tent, "Lu Yao, bring me the headband. It's in the black rectangular sports bag on the table next to you."

Lu Yao turned his head and immediately saw Lu Qi's rectangular gym bag. As he was about to get up, he noticed something in the bag seemed to suddenly move.

At the same time, the housekeeper at the Lu residence was almost frantic.

After finishing the cleaning, she intended to feed the Lu family's kitten, Milk. However, she searched high and low throughout the house but couldn't find the kitten anywhere.

When she reached the entrance hall, she realized she hadn't closed the front door properly.

Thinking that her momentary lapse might have allowed the kitten to slip outside, she broke out in a cold sweat.

If she couldn't find the kitten, the consequences would be dire.

The housekeeper hurriedly searched the neighborhood but still couldn't find Milk.

Eventually, with no other options, she called Lu Yao, but his phone was unreachable. So she had to call Lu Qi instead.

Lu Qi, who was waiting for Lu Yao to bring the headband, suddenly received a call on his phone.

Upon hearing the news that Milk had gone missing, Lu Qi's expression changed.

Milk had accompanied Lu Yao from Shancheng to the Lu residence, and Lu Qi knew how important this kitten was to his younger brother.

Forgetting to even hang up the phone, Lu Qi anxiously ran over to Lu Yao.

"Lu Yao, Auntie just called and said Milk is missing! We need to go home and check!"

Hearing the news about Milk, Jiang Bai, who had been sitting calmly, also stood up in a flurry, looking worriedly at Lu Yao.

Seeing Lu Yao's calm demeanor, seemingly indifferent to the news, Lu Qi's voice was filled with urgency and confusion, "Lu Yao, did you hear what I just said? I said Milk is missing, your cat is missing!"

Lu Yao sighed helplessly, "I know it's missing, and I also know where it is."

Lu Qi was stunned and blinked in confusion, "Where?"

Lu Yao bent slightly and pulled out the small kitten from Lu Qi's black rectangular bag. The kitten was happily munching on some dried fish.

He gently lifted the kitten's paw and shook its cute, pink pads at Lu Qi.

"It's here."

Lu Yao's slender fingers held the pretty black-and-white kitten, and despite his stern and serious features, he earnestly shook the kitten's adorable paw.

Seeing this scene, Jiang Bai's heart softened in an instant.

The contrast was so endearing that it shattered the tough exterior of his heart. At that moment, he was utterly tender-hearted!

Seeing Lu Yao pull the kitten from the bag, Lu Qi was astonished, "How is it here?!"

Lu Yao: "Shouldn't I be asking you that? Why is there an opened pack of dried fish in your bag?"

Realizing Lu Yao's counter-question, Lu Qi suddenly remembered that he had played with the kitten with some dried fish before leaving in the morning.

He must have absentmindedly put the opened pack of dried fish into his sports bag and forgotten about it. The kitten, attracted by the smell of the dried fish, had climbed into his bag and fallen asleep while eating the treat. Lu Qi hadn't checked closely before zipping up the bag.

Lu Qi scratched his head, laughing awkwardly, "No wonder I thought this sports bag felt heavier today."

After learning that the kitten had been accidentally brought to school by Lu Qi, the housekeeper finally breathed a sigh of relief.

After ending the call with the housekeeper, Lu Yao lightly patted the kitten's head, thinking, what a little troublemaker.

The class advisor had urgent family matters these days and had asked the English teacher to cover for them.

The English teacher was a lively woman, and as soon as she entered the tent, she spotted the kitten in Lu Yao's hands.

She walked straight to Lu Qi and the others, exclaiming, "So cute, a kitten!"

After hearing Lu Yao's explanation, the English teacher smiled and nodded in understanding, "It's okay, just leave it here. Since it's the sports meet today, it won't affect the regular class schedule. Your family's driver can come and pick it up at noon."

With the English teacher leading the way, more girls from the class, captivated by the kitten's cuteness, gathered around.

Seeing so many people crowding around, the kitten seemed startled and meowed loudly.

Lu Yao lifted his long, fair fingers and shushed the kitten with a gentle "shh" at his lips.

He stroked the kitten's fluffy fur, and the kitten settled down obediently in his arms.

The class's publicity committee member, a girl who was originally using a DSLR to capture the sports meet, turned her camera toward the lively scene around Lu Yao.

After capturing the moment where Lu Yao was tenderly comforting the kitten, she internally became a screeching fan, rolling around in excitement.

At that moment, the girls surrounding Lu Yao, while maintaining a calm exterior, had their eyes dancing with excitement.

How adorable!

Lu Yao's sudden display of softness was making their hearts flutter!