Chapter 52

Chapter 52

This road was desolate and deserted, with a filthy ditch running alongside it. The water in the ditch was clearly polluted, showing a deep blue color.

Jiang Bai, afraid of slowing down Lu Yao, didn't dare speak to him, fearing that it would disrupt his breathing.

On the quiet road, all that could be heard was the sound of their intertwined breaths. The invisible connection between Lu Yao and Jiang Bai seemed to deepen.

They hurried along in silence.

Suddenly, Jiang Bai broke the silence, "Lu Yao! There's a phone booth not far ahead."

Jiang Bai's voice was filled with joy.

Seeing the old phone booth, Lu Yao's eyes also lit up with happiness.

Seeing the phone booth, Lu Yao took larger strides, quickening his pace.

Lu Yao checked the phone booth while Jiang Bai, sitting on the ground to rest, worriedly asked, "How is it? Can it be used?"

Lu Yao nodded, "Yes."

Although phone booths had fallen out of use in recent years, fortunately, this old one was still functional.

When Hai City's phone booths were designed, they included emergency call functions like police and ambulance calls. So, even without a phone card, Lu Yao successfully connected to the police.

As soon as Lu Yao identified himself, the operator transferred the call to a police officer from the task force stationed at the 110 command center.

The task force had anticipated that the hostages might escape and call for help, so they had a police officer on standby at the command center.

Lu Yao, with a calm and steady voice, provided the police with all the information he had: "We are likely in the suburbs, near a chemical plant. About 1200 meters behind us, there is a utility pole marked with the code 496 Pole 4 Plastic Branch 06. There are three male kidnappers, all armed with guns."

Using this information, along with the change in daylight yesterday and the speed of the kidnappers' van, Lu Yao deduced that it took about two hours to drive from the flower shop in the city center to the remote warehouse. This distance matched the journey from the city center to the suburbs.

Additionally, the color of the ditch water indicated the presence of a nearby chemical plant illegally discharging waste, polluting the water.

The code on the utility pole, which Lu Yao had noticed while looking back to check if the kidnappers were following, was used by the power company for maintenance purposes. By using the pole's code, the police could pinpoint its location.

Hai City, being economically advanced, had few chemical plants. With the area narrowed down by Lu Yao, the police quickly determined their approximate location. The utility pole's code further reduced the search area.

The task force had already dispatched many plainclothes officers to search for Lu Yao and Jiang Bai. Once they received the location, police cars quickly arrived.

Seeing the police cars, Lu Yao and Jiang Bai exchanged relieved smiles. The long night was finally over, and they could now breathe a sigh of relief.

Unbeknownst to them, the three kidnappers had been nearby but turned back upon hearing the police sirens.

After picking up Lu Yao and Jiang Bai, the police split into two teams.

One team escorted Lu Yao and Jiang Bai to the hospital as both were injured and needed immediate medical attention. The other team headed to the warehouse to capture the three kidnappers.