forty four

"the progress is progressing," navi said, clapping her hands as you walked her to her next class. "you went from wondering how a proper hug from jung hoseok would feel to falling asleep with your head in his lap while he gently stroked your hair and cheeks."

"i still don't know what a proper hug from him feels like," you muttered, causing her to roll her eyes.

"but you've made progress! you and hoseok had a nice long talk, where you got to know more about each other and ended up with your head in his lap! you created a scene straight out of a romance movie," she groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose.

you were filing your best friend in on everything that happened after she dropped you off at home on saturday.

the only person at home that evening was hoseok. after he turned off the tv, you two spent - what felt like hours - talking about random things and getting to know each other. you don't remember how you ended up in the position, but you found yourself lying on the couch with your head in hoseok's lap.

"i'm not denying that there's progress, but-"

"if you could rest with him like that, you can definitely hug the dude!" she exclaimed, almost tugging at her hair in frustration. "i'm sure you don't even have to ask, you know? you can go up to him with your arms wide open, and he'll pull you into a hug. not only would hoseok, but i'm sure all of the guys would!"

"why are we suddenly jumping from hoseok to all the guys?" you whined.

"your roommates- no, future boyfriends are a package. it's impossible to talk about one of them without bringing up another or the rest," she told you. "and since i'm heading to namjoon's lecture now, i have a little dare for you."

you could tell navi wasn't up to anything good just by the sudden change in her tone and the suspicious facial expression. "please don't start-"

"i dare you to pull namjoon aside and greet him with a hug," she said. "maybe you can flirt with him a little too? if you're still free after my lecture, tell him you'd love to see him after or something like that."

"navi!"

"oh, come on, y/n! i'd understand you acting like this if you were going to make out with the guy, but a hug? you can't be this shy over a hug at your big age," she sighed, shaking her head. "if you do it, i'll do anything you want. i'll even dye my hair that atrocious hot pink you suggested a while ago."

the hot pink suggestion was a joke. but if navi is willing to dye her hair a colour you picked, you wouldn't pass on the opportunity. her dare was simple if you really thought about it. hug the man who drives you to campus every day. how hard could it be?

-

"good afternoon, navi- oh! y/n?" namjoon said, surprised to see you. you've never come to see him before one of his lectures. he's never seen you during the day other than when jimin came over.

navi acknowledged your roommate with a slight bow before whispering a soft 'good luck' and running away to look for a seat.

you looked around the lecture room to see multiple students whispering and looking at you, and you wanted to evaporate. would you try to hug him in front of all these people or pull him outside?

"you never come to me during the day," namjoon said, grabbing your attention as he slid a hand into his pocket. "is something wrong?"

'holy shit, this man is hot,' you thought, taking in his appearance. you had seen him in the morning, but seeing him with the glasses on and in his element made him much more attractive. kim namjoon wore a three-piece suit, but the blazer was draped over his chair, leaving him in the vest and white shirt. 

"nothing's wrong, joon," you told him softly before opening your arms. ''it's now or never,' you thought, trying to forget the number of eyes on you. "i was walking navi here and decided to come in and say hi. i hope you don't mind."

namjoon looked at you with a raised brow, looking at your open arms, and you mentally cried. you were going to bury yourself if this man didn't hug you. 'why did i agree to this dare? what's wrong with me?'

"why would i mind?" he asked, wrapping his hand around one of your wrists. "i'd love for you to come more often, y/n."

your heartbeat increased as he slowly pulled you close to him, not breaking eye contact. you swallowed as you watched the smile on his face become mischievous. "especially if you're going to hug me each time," he said softly before wrapping his arms around you and pulling you into a hug.

you heard a squeal come from somewhere and immediately knew it was navi. you couldn't turn to confirm as namjoon buried his head in your neck.

"i needed this hug," he muttered. "this day has felt unnecessarily long, and i can't wait to get home."

"how many lectures do you have after this?" you asked, running your fingers through his hair, completely forgetting your surroundings.

"one more," he sighed before unfortunately letting you go. "you?"

"my last lecture is at four," you told him, taking your fingers out of his hair. "so i'll meet you at your office then?"

"fine by me," he smiled, leaning in to peck your cheek, catching you off guard, and you heard another squeal, and you instantly remembered where you were. "see you later then."

you couldn't even look at navi, who almost screamed your name as you ran out of the hall in embarrassment.

"professor kim?" a student said, raising their hand.

"yes?" namjoon asked, fixing his tie before connecting his laptop to the projector.

"is that your girlfriend?"

"not yet," he answered, keeping his eyes on his laptop as he looked for the powerpoint slides for the day's lecture. "but i'd love to become one of her boyfriends."

"one of?" another student asked.

"yup, but i'm not about to go too deep into my personal life. we have much more important things to focus on," he chuckled, picking up his textbook. "open your textbooks to page 127! someone read!"

namjoon slowly realised his feelings for you a few days after you and jimin kissed. his bold step to make his feelings known opened namjoon's eyes and made him see you in ways he hadn't.

he knew you were attractive, but one random morning, while you made some coffee, you looked- actually, no words in the english dictionary could best describe how beautiful you looked that morning. from that moment, he knew he was fucked.

namjoon realised how much he loved hearing the sound of your laugh as you played along to games on the radio. he realised he looked forward to seeing you after a long day of lectures and loved listening to you talk about your day on the drive back home.

he told himself he wouldn't make a move and keep his feelings a secret until after your date with jimin and jungkook's confession, but he couldn't help himself. the second he saw the slightly embarrassed look on your face as you waited with your slightly open arms for a hug, he had to pull you into his arms. the feeling of you in his arms and your fingers in his hair was something he couldn't describe and wished lasted longer.

navi watched him shake his head in an attempt to take the sheepish smile off his face while one of her classmates read a passage in the textbook.

'that's another one down,' she thought. 'i wonder how many are left.'