𝟬𝟬𝟲 the closer i get to you

CHAPTER SIX.
the closer i get to you.

THIRD PERSON.
Carr Family Pediatrics—Los Angeles, California.

❤︎

The sterile smell of antiseptic filled the small examination room, mingling with the quiet hum of medical equipment. Samira sat in a hard plastic chair, her fingers tapping nervously on the armrest as she watched the door. Beside her, little Sadiah clutched his stuffed pig, his small body curled up in the oversized chair, his knees pulled to his chest. His wide eyes darted around the room, seeking comfort in the familiar toy in his hands. He couldn't hear much, but the nervous tension in his mother's posture was enough to make him uneasy.

          After a few weeks of searching, she was finally able to find a doctor to see about Sadiah's hearing. Her heart ached for him when he would cry due to his ear infections, and the medicine she'd been giving him wasn't working at all. All she could do was reassure him that he would feel better soon—even though she didn't know what for sure, that's what they were here to find out. She looked over at Sadiah as she gnawed on her bottom lip, something she tended to do when she was anxious.

          The door creaked open, and a doctor in a white lab coat walked in, a serious expression on his face. Samira's heart pounded in her chest as he began to speak, his tone clinical and detached. She listened intently, her hopes dwindling with each passing second.

          "We've reviewed all the tests and unfortunately, Sadiah's condition is more complex than we initially thought," the doctor said, his voice devoid of empathy. "The ear infections have caused significant damage, and while we've tried every available treatment, it seems there's nothing more we can do. He will continue to lose his hearing over time."

          Samira's mind reeled, her breathing becoming evidently heavier as she listened to the man speak. "What do you mean there's nothing you can do?" she snapped, her voice rising with each word.