12

Chapter 12 Sister-in-law

When the voice sounded, Pei Xingzhi and Dong Hanyun lowered their heads in tacit understanding, and when they raised their heads again, they became familiar faces.

Meng Yanchun was wearing a coarse linen shirt with buttons on his hands, and looked at the two of them suspiciously.

"Nothing, I told Xingzhi about Xiaowan picking me up."

Dong Hanyun didn't even look at Meng Yanchun, and added firewood by herself.

"Yes, I heard sister-in-law talk about Xiaowan's childhood." Pei Xingzhi smiled at Meng Yanchun.

Meng Yanchun looked at this and that, and the atmosphere was a little quiet.

Pei Xingzhi:...

Dong Hanyun put a few more firewood, and the fire in the stove was so big that it was about to burn out.

"Hey, you guys are talking about this, ask me, I know more than you."

Meng Yanchun suddenly grinned and began to chatter about Meng Wanqiu's childhood.

The two people next to him did not interrupt him.

When Meng Wanqiu was six years old, Meng Fengdong was still young and needed to be taken care of by Grandma Meng, and Meng Yanchun had already started to help the family, so only Meng Mingxia took care of Meng Wanqiu.

Meng Mingxia felt that her sister was pitiful staying at home every day, so she took Meng Wanqiu out without telling Grandma Meng.

But as a child, when she saw other children playing, she couldn't help but go over and play, and she forgot about Meng Wanqiu.

Meng Wanqiu wandered around by herself and came to the entrance of the village, where she met Dong Hanyun, who was ragged and dirty.

During the severe drought in those years, countless people were forced to leave their hometowns just to get a meal outside and survive.

It was even more difficult for families with many children to bring their families along, so many people did this. Every time they arrived at a village, they would throw a child at the entrance of the village. As for whether the child could survive, it depended on God's will.

Dong Hanyun was thrown to Qinghe Village by her parents in this way. When she woke up, all her family members were gone. She cried alone at the entrance of Qinghe Village.

It attracted many villagers. Everyone knew what the situation was, but everyone's family conditions were not good. They couldn't even have enough food at home, so how could they pick up another child to take back?

One day, two days, three days.

Dong Hanyun wandered around the village for three days and fainted from hunger. When she woke up again, she saw Meng Wanqiu squatting beside her. She had two pigtails, like a lucky doll from a New Year picture.

At that moment, Dong Hanyun thought she was dead. When she met the little fairy, she said with her dying breath: "Little fairy, I'm so hungry."

The little lucky doll tilted her head, took out a small sachet from the small pocket in front of her clothes, took out a small piece of mung bean cake, and tremblingly put it into Dong Hanyun's mouth.

After the whole action, she didn't know how much time had passed, but in Dong Hanyun's heart, this beautiful little fairy was deeply imprinted in her memory.

There were not many mung bean cakes in the small sachet, not enough to fill Dong Hanyun's stomach.

Finally, Meng Wanqiu's little hand, like a white steamed bun, held Dong Hanyun's dirty black hand and led her home.