44

Chapter 44

The scenery outside the window passed by quickly, and the sound of clanging kept lingering in my ears. The blue-covered seats had been weathered, and the backrest and the seat area had turned white. The sponge underneath was pressed tightly, becoming a solid hard seat.

The carriage was full, and the upper shelf was filled with snakeskin bags. Pei Xingzhi put big things like bedding on it, and the valuables were placed in the box, which was stepped on by Meng Wanqiu.

There was no need to pay attention to quality and courtesy at this time. There was no silence in the carriage, and various sounds came one after another.

The two of them bought a row of seats. Meng Wanqiu sat by the window, her eyes red and slightly swollen, and she propped up her chin to look at the scenery outside. When passing a tunnel, she would cover her mouth and let out a soft cry of surprise, then hide in Pei Xingzhi's arms in the darkness, and leave before exiting the tunnel.

Pei Xingzhi saw that she was in good condition, and his anxiety was slightly relieved.

The place they were going to was Y Province, which was four provinces away from G Province. They would get off in one of the county towns in Y Province and then go to the 715 Machinery Factory.

Although it was separated by three provinces, the distance was not very far. They took the train at around five o'clock this morning and would arrive at their destination around eight or nine o'clock tonight.

Opposite Pei Xingzhi and his friends sat a mother and her son. The mother was probably in her early thirties, dressed simply, but she wore a watch on her wrist and had only one suitcase. When she saw that the people sitting opposite her were a young couple, her vigilance faded a little, but she held the child's hand tightly.

The child was dressed neatly, wearing a pair of striped cloth shoes, and stayed in his mother's arms obediently, looking about seven or eight years old.

From time to time, he glanced at Meng Wanqiu, with undisguised curiosity in his eyes.

Meng Wanqiu wanted to tease him, but when she thought that the mother had not spoken, it was obvious that she did not want to communicate with strangers, she gave up the idea.

Pei Xingzhi always remembered Meng Wanqiu's pregnancy. Every few minutes, he would ask Meng Wanqiu about her physical condition, whether she felt uncomfortable, whether she was hungry or thirsty, and whether she wanted to go to the toilet.

At first, Meng Wanqiu answered in a friendly voice, but after being asked more questions, she didn't want to talk anymore and just shook her head and waved her hands perfunctorily.

Because they had to sit all day, Pei Xingzhi specially took out soft clothes for Meng Wanqiu to use as a cushion, fearing that she would be uncomfortable.

When it was time for dinner, people in the carriage took out dry food from their bags one after another. They were all dry coarse flour steamed buns and steamed buns, and they ate them with cold water.

The Meng family prepared soft white flour steamed buns for Pei Xingzhi and Meng Wanqiu, and also brought several bottles of sauce, including fresh mushroom sauce and spicy chili sauce. The chili sauce contained minced meat, and the mushroom sauce contained small pieces of bacon.

The steamed buns were steamed early in the morning and kept in the bundle. They were still soft at noon. Meng Wanqiu couldn't wait to open a bottle of mushroom sauce, and the fresh aroma of mushrooms and the smoky aroma of bacon spread instantly.

The snow-white steamed bun was split in the middle and wrapped with the fragrant and tempting mushroom sauce. Meng Wanqiu stared at it with eyes wide open. She couldn't wait to take it from Pei Xingzhi's hand, shouting: "Give it to me, give it to me."