Chapter 26

The reckoning.

Isabella's POV

It had been a week since the chaos began, and my concern for Heidi had only grown. No one knew about our breakup, and we had kept it hidden to maintain the unity of our crew. I was summoned to my father's office, the weight of the situation pressing down on me as I made my way through the halls.

When I entered, my father, Carlos, looked up and smiled. "Isabella, come in," he said warmly. "We need to discuss your next mission. Heidi will be joining you."

My heart skipped a beat at the mention of her name. "Heidi?" I asked, trying to keep my voice steady.

Carlos's POV

Carlos nodded, pride evident in his eyes. "Yes, Heidi. She's proven herself time and time again. I'm proud of her, Isabella. She's a valuable asset to our crew."

Isabella's POV

I forced a smile, my heart aching at the thought of working so closely with Heidi. "Of course, Dad," I replied. "What's the mission?"

Before Carlos could answer, the door opened, and Marlow walked in, his eyes immediately locking onto mine. He nodded in greeting, taking a seat beside me. Veta followed shortly after, her expression a mix of concern and determination.

Marlow's POV

I could see the tension in Isabella's eyes, but I chose not to comment. "Carlos," I said, turning my attention to him. "What's the plan?"

Veta's POV

I took a seat next to Marlow, my eyes flicking between Carlos and Isabella. "Yes, what's the mission?" I asked, my voice steady despite the worry gnawing at me.

Carlos's POV

Carlos leaned forward, his expression serious. "We have intel on a rival crew planning to move in on our territory. I want Isabella and Heidi to handle it. They're our best operatives."

Isabella's POV

I nodded, trying to focus on the details of the mission. But my mind kept drifting to Heidi. How would we work together after everything that had happened?

Heidi's POV

I walked into the office, my dark blue dress hugging my curves and complimenting my fair skin. My eyes met Isabella's, and I could see the mix of emotions in her gaze. I took a seat beside her, the tension between us palpable.

Carlos's POV

Carlos watched as Heidi entered, his pride evident. "Heidi, Isabella," he said, addressing both of us. "This mission is crucial. I need you both to be at your best."

Isabella's POV

I could feel the heat radiating off Heidi as she sat next to me. The memories of our time together flooded back, making it hard to concentrate. "We'll get it done, Dad," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

Heidi's POV

I nodded in agreement, my eyes never leaving Isabella's. "We won't let you down," I added, my voice firm.

Marlow's POV

I watched the interaction between Heidi and Isabella, sensing the underlying tension. "You two have always made a great team," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

Veta's POV

I nodded, my eyes softening as I looked at the two of them. "Just remember to watch each other's backs," I added. "This mission is dangerous."