4: The Anonymous Buyer

When he arrived at his apartment, Minghao was surprised to see Yulan standing outside, leaning against the door. She looked as if she had been waiting for him for a while. There was something different about her today, something that tugged at the edges of his unease.

"Yulan?" he called out softly as he approached, the unease in his chest tightening.

She turned to him, her expression shifting from one of distant contemplation to a tender smile. But even in her smile, Minghao could see the exhaustion, the weight of whatever had been bothering her for the past few days.

"Minghao," she greeted, her voice carrying a mixture of relief and anxiety. "Can we talk?"

Minghao nodded, unlocking the door and stepping aside to let her in. He could feel the tension between them, like a fragile thread stretched too thin, ready to snap at any moment. As they walked inside, Yulan's usual confident demeanor seemed to falter, and Minghao could sense that something was different tonight.

Once inside, Yulan hesitated in the hallway, her eyes avoiding his. She seemed to be gathering her thoughts, trying to find the right words. Minghao watched her carefully, his concern growing with each passing second.

"What's wrong, Yulan?" he asked gently, stepping closer to her. "You've been distant lately. I can tell something's been bothering you."

Yulan sighed, running a hand through her hair as she looked up at him. "Minghao, I'm sorry. I've been... distracted. There's been so much on my mind, and I haven't been fair to you."

Minghao frowned, his worry deepening. "What's been going on? You know you can talk to me about anything."

"I know," Yulan whispered, her voice barely audible. She took a deep breath, finally meeting his eyes. "I've just been overwhelmed, I guess. Work, responsibilities—it's all been so much. But I realize that's no excuse for how I've been acting."

Minghao reached out, gently taking her hand in his. "You don't have to go through this alone, Yulan. I'm here for you, no matter what. We're a team, remember?"

Yulan's eyes softened, and she squeezed his hand. "I know, and I'm grateful for that. I don't want to lose you, Minghao. You mean so much to me."

Minghao smiled, relieved to see the warmth returning to her eyes. But there was still something there, something she wasn't telling him. He could sense it, the way she seemed to hold back, the way her smile didn't quite reach her eyes.

"I've missed you," Minghao confessed, his voice soft. "I've missed us. Whatever it is you're dealing with, we can face it together."

Yulan nodded, her smile bittersweet. "I've missed you too, more than you know. Let's not waste any more time being apart."

They embraced, holding each other close as if trying to erase the distance that had grown between them. For a moment, Minghao allowed himself to believe that everything was okay, that they were back to the way they used to be. But even as they held each other, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was still wrong.

The evening passed in a quiet, comforting routine. Minghao cooked dinner, a simple stir-fry that filled the apartment with the comforting scent of garlic and ginger. Yulan set the table, carefully arranging the plates and adding a small vase of fresh flowers as a centerpiece. They talked as they ate, their conversation light and easy, filled with the kind of small talk they hadn't shared in weeks.