12: It's the Time

Yulan's recovery had been slow but steady. Each day, Minghao watched her regain her strength, the bruises fading, the cuts healing. Yet, something was different. There was a distance in her eyes, a barrier that even Minghao, with all his love and patience, couldn't seem to cross.

As the days passed, Minghao found himself torn between his growing concern for Yulan and the looming pressure of his upcoming exhibition in China. This exhibition was supposed to be the biggest of his career, a showcase of his finest work, and an opportunity to solidify his name in the art world. But with Yulan still in Seoul, recovering and surrounded by secrecy, Minghao couldn't bring himself to leave her behind.

One evening, as he sat by her bedside, his hand gently resting over hers, he finally voiced the concern that had been gnawing at him for days.

"Yulan," he began softly, his voice laced with worry, "the exhibition is in a week. I need to go back to China to prepare, but I don't want to leave you here alone."

Yulan turned her head slightly, meeting his gaze. Her eyes, though still carrying the shadow of her recent ordeal, softened at his words. "Minghao," she said, her voice calm and reassuring, "you can't let this opportunity slip away. This is your dream. I'll be fine here."

Minghao shook his head, a frown creasing his forehead. "I can't go back without you. Not after everything that's happened. I don't even know how you got hurt, Yulan. You won't tell me anything, and it scares me."

Yulan sighed, her fingers lightly squeezing his. "I'm sorry, Minghao. There are things... things I can't explain right now. But I promise, once I'm back in China, I'll tell you everything. Just give me a little more time."

Minghao searched her face, hoping for some sign that she would open up, that the walls she'd built around herself would come down. But Yulan was steadfast, her expression giving nothing away.

"I don't know if I can wait, Yulan," Minghao admitted, his voice trembling slightly. "I love you, but this distance between us... it's unbearable."

Yulan's gaze softened further, and she reached up to gently stroke his cheek. "I know, my love. And I hate that this is hurting you. But I need you to trust me. Go to China, do what you do best, and I'll join you as soon as I can. We'll sort everything out then."

Minghao wanted to argue, to insist on staying, but he could see the determination in her eyes. Yulan was giving him an out, a way to focus on his career while she finished whatever mysterious business was keeping her in Seoul. And as much as he hated it, he knew she was right. This exhibition was too important to miss.

"Okay," he finally relented, his voice heavy with resignation. "But the moment your business here is done, I want you on the next flight to China. Promise me."

Yulan smiled, a small, tired smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "I promise, Minghao. I'll be with you soon."

Minghao leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead, lingering there for a moment as if trying to memorize the feel of her beneath his lips. Then, with a heavy heart, he stood up.

"I'll call you every day," he said, trying to muster a smile.

"And I'll be waiting for your calls," Yulan replied, her voice as soft as a whisper.

Minghao nodded, his heart aching as he walked out of the room. The thought of leaving her behind was almost unbearable, but he had no other choice. He had to trust that Yulan knew what she was doing, that she would be safe, and that they would be reunited soon.