29: The Car Ride

Joshua's eyes closed, and he felt the hot sting of tears building up, ones he could no longer hold back. He had loved Seokmin deeply, with a love that had taken root in the very core of his being. And even now, after everything, that love had not wavered. "I loved you, Seokmin," he confessed, his voice trembling as the tears finally spilled over. "I still do, even after everything that's happened."

His words hung in the air like a lifeline, pulling Seokmin back from the edge of despair. Without thinking, Seokmin slammed on the brakes, bringing the car to an abrupt stop on the deserted road. He didn't care where they were or who might see; all he knew was that he couldn't go another moment without closing the distance between them.

The next thing Joshua knew, Seokmin had turned to him, his eyes dark with a mixture of longing and regret. Before Joshua could say anything else, Seokmin leaned in and captured his lips in a kiss that was both desperate and tender, a kiss that spoke of all the emotions he had been too afraid to express before.

Joshua gasped into the kiss, his hands instinctively clutching at Seokmin's jacket as if grounding himself in the reality of the moment. The kiss was everything they had both been missing—apology, forgiveness, love. It was as if they were trying to make up for all the lost time, for all the words that had been left unspoken.

Seokmin's hands cupped Joshua's face, his thumbs brushing away the tears that had continued to fall, his touch gentle yet possessive. The kiss deepened, growing more passionate as they poured everything they had into it—their pain, their sorrow, their undying love. When they finally broke apart, both of them were breathless, their foreheads pressed together as they tried to steady themselves.

"I love you more, Shua," Seokmin murmured again, his voice hoarse. "I'm sorry because I was so scared of losing you that I ended up pushing you away. But I don't want to run anymore. I want to make things right."

Joshua's heart ached at the sincerity in Seokmin's voice, and he knew that despite everything, despite all the hurt and betrayal, he wanted the same thing. "I don't want to lose you either," Joshua whispered back, his fingers tracing the line of Seokmin's jaw. "But if we're going to do this, we need to trust each other completely. No more secrets, no more running."

Seokmin nodded, his eyes shining with unshed tears as he pressed another soft kiss to Joshua's lips. "I promise," he said, the words carrying the weight of a vow. "No more running."

They stayed there for a long moment, wrapped up in each other, letting the silence of the night soothe the wounds of their hearts. And for the first time in what felt like forever, both of them felt a glimmer of hope, a belief that maybe—just maybe—they could find their way back to each other.

The decision to renew their wedding vows came almost as a natural progression after that night. In the quiet of the car, with their hands intertwined and hearts beating in sync once more, it felt like the only way forward. They had both been through so much—pain, heartbreak, and misunderstandings—and yet, despite it all, their love had endured. If anything, it had become stronger, tempered by the trials they had faced.

As Seokmin drove the rest of the way to the Midnight mansion, their conversation shifted from apologies to plans for the future. The idea of renewing their vows wasn't a spur-of-the-moment decision; it was something both of them felt deeply in their hearts. It was a chance to start anew, to recommit to each other with the wisdom and maturity they had gained through their experiences.

"We could do it somewhere special," Joshua suggested softly, a hint of excitement creeping into his voice. "Someplace that means something to us."