9: Minghao Doesn't Know

As Minghao stepped off the plane at Seoul's Incheon Airport, his mind was a whirlwind of anxiety and fear. The city, usually a place of vibrant energy and life, seemed shrouded in an ominous gloom as he rushed through the terminal, his heart pounding in his chest. The flight had felt agonizingly long, every minute filled with a gnawing dread about what awaited him at the hospital.

The drive to the hospital was a blur, the streets of Seoul passing by in a haze as Minghao's thoughts raced. He kept replaying Lin's words in his mind, each repetition adding to the knot of worry tightening in his chest. He couldn't shake the image of Yulan, strong and unyielding, now lying vulnerable and injured.

Finally, the taxi pulled up to the hospital, and Minghao barely waited for it to stop before he bolted out, his legs carrying him as fast as they could. He burst through the entrance, not even bothering to check in at the front desk as he made his way to the room number Lin had texted him earlier.

When he reached the room, Minghao hesitated for a split second, his hand hovering over the door handle. He took a deep breath, trying to steady himself before pushing the door open.

The sight that greeted him made his heart lurch. Yulan lay on the hospital bed, her face pale, her body connected to various machines that beeped softly, monitoring her condition. Her usually sharp and commanding presence was now subdued, replaced by a fragility that Minghao had never seen before. It was as if the woman he knew had been stripped away, leaving behind someone who looked almost unfamiliar.

Minghao's legs gave way beneath him, and he collapsed into the chair beside her bed, his hand trembling as he reached out to touch hers. "Yulan..." His voice cracked as he spoke her name, the tears that had been threatening to spill finally breaking free. "What happened to you?"

Yulan's eyes fluttered open at the sound of his voice. She turned her head slowly, her gaze meeting his. For a moment, she didn't speak, simply watching him with an expression Minghao couldn't quite decipher. Then, with a faint, pained smile, she whispered, "Minghao... you came."

"Of course I did," Minghao choked out, his grip on her hand tightening. "I'm so sorry I wasn't here sooner. I didn't know... I didn't know this would happen."

Yulan's smile faded as a shadow of pain crossed her face. "There's... so much I haven't told you. Things you wouldn't understand. But I'm glad you're here now."

Minghao shook his head, tears blurring his vision. "It doesn't matter, Yulan. I don't care about any of that right now. I just... I just need you to be okay."

Yulan's eyes softened as she watched him. "I'll be fine, Minghao. I've survived worse. But there's something you need to know..."

Minghao leaned in closer, his heart racing. "What is it?"

Before Yulan could answer, the door opened, and Lin stepped in. He paused when he saw Minghao, giving him a small nod before turning his attention to Yulan. "Ms. Zhang, the doctors said you need to rest. Minghao can stay with you, but you shouldn't push yourself too hard."

Yulan closed her eyes for a moment, as if gathering her strength. When she opened them again, she looked at Minghao with a mixture of sorrow and determination. "We'll talk later, Minghao. For now, just stay with me. That's all I need."

Minghao nodded, brushing a tear from his cheek. "I'm not going anywhere."

As he sat there, holding her hand and watching her drift back into sleep, Minghao's mind was a storm of questions. What had Yulan meant? What was she hiding from him? And what could have possibly led to this moment, where the woman he loved was lying in a hospital bed, battered and broken?