5: All Pictures Sold Out

Jun stood in the shadows of the gallery, his eyes fixed on Minghao from a distance. The soft, ambient lighting of the exhibition cast a warm glow over the room, highlighting the elegance of the event. But Jun's focus was solely on Minghao. He watched as the artist moved through the crowd, his anxiety evident in the way his fingers nervously brushed against his suit jacket, his gaze darting around the room, searching for a sign of interest in his work.

Jun's lips curled into a satisfied smile as he observed Minghao's expression shift from worry to disbelief, and finally to joy. The moment the gallery owner informed Minghao that all of his paintings had been sold, Jun felt a rush of satisfaction. He had orchestrated the entire event, ensuring that Minghao's art would be appreciated, cherished, and, most importantly, secured under his influence.

From his vantage point, Jun could see the confusion in Minghao's eyes, the way his brow furrowed as he tried to comprehend who could have made such an extravagant purchase. Jun knew that Minghao would never suspect him—why would he? To Minghao, Jun was just another faceless admirer in the sea of patrons, someone who had appreciated his art enough to make a grand gesture.

But to Jun, this was more than just a gesture. It was a statement, a claim. By buying all of Minghao's paintings at double the price, Jun was asserting his presence in Minghao's life, weaving himself into the fabric of the artist's world without ever having to reveal his identity. He could remain in the background, silently controlling the narrative, all while Minghao remained blissfully unaware.

Jun watched from the shadows as Minghao's face lit up with surprise and disbelief. The gallery owner had just informed him that all of his paintings had been sold at double the asking price. Jun's heart skipped a beat at the sight of Minghao's reaction.

"This can't be right," Minghao stammered, turning to the gallery owner with wide eyes. "All of them? And at that price? Who bought them?"

The gallery owner smiled, shaking his head. "I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to disclose that information. The buyer preferred to remain anonymous, but they were quite insistent on purchasing everything."

Minghao's confusion deepened, but there was a flicker of joy in his eyes. "I don't understand... Why would someone do that?"

As Minghao pondered this, Jun allowed himself a moment of satisfaction. His plan had worked perfectly. But then, something changed. Minghao's smile faded slightly, and his gaze drifted toward the entrance of the gallery as if he were expecting someone—perhaps Yulan.

"Yulan would never do something like this," Minghao muttered to himself, almost inaudibly.

From his hidden position, Jun clenched his fists, his jaw tightening. Of course, Minghao would think of Yulan. She was always in his thoughts, the one who had stood by his side for so long. But not for much longer, Jun promised himself.

Unable to remain silent any longer, Jun moved closer, his footsteps soft and unnoticed in the crowd's chatter. He didn't intend to reveal himself, but he wanted to hear more, to be nearer to Minghao's thoughts.

"I don't know who you are," Minghao whispered to the empty space in front of him, "but thank you, whoever you are. You've just made my dream come true. I only wish I knew why."

Jun's breath hitched at Minghao's soft words. The sincerity in his voice was a balm to Jun's obsessive heart. He wanted to step forward, to claim the gratitude meant for him, but he restrained himself. This was not the time. Instead, he settled for watching the gratitude play across Minghao's features, knowing that it was all because of him.