PART 60: A GOOD PARTNER...

"Do you even understand, Tomioka-San!? He cares about you so much!"
Shinobu pulled him closer.

Giyuu blinked, her words like a splash of cold water to the face. He shook his head in disbelief.
"He... he doesn't. He doesn't care. I know it more than you do, Kocho..."

What is wrong with Tomioka-San...?
Shinobu wondered, gritting her teeth.
She grunted softly, her face flushing red with anger.

"You're so dense, Tomioka-San!"
She snapped, her voice growing louder.

"Do you even realise what he's done for you? He's supported you, encouraged you, and protected you!"

Giyuu opened his mouth to argue, but the words died on his lips as he remembered all the times Sanemi had been there for him, the countless times he had put Giyuu's needs before his own. The realization hit him like a hammer, and he felt his heart crumble.
"I-I..."

Shinobu's gaze softened.
"I'm sorry for lashing out on you... it's just, you're becoming so infuriating!"
She looked deep into his blue eyes, her heart feeling heavy.

"Shinazugawa-San told me everything. You're mad at him because he couldn't keep your promise... isn't it?"

Giyuu's breath was caught in his throat as he met her gaze, the truth of her words hitting him like a ton of bricks.
He felt his face burn with shame, and he looked away, unable to meet her big, purple eyes.

Shinobu placed a gentle hand under his chin, forcing him to meet her gaze.

"Tomioka-San... Do you know how hard he's trying, only to get you back? A fight just over a little promise... it's so..."
She sighed, trying to control herself.

She sighed helplessly, a soft smile playing on her lips.
"You're so stupid, Tomioka-San..."

Giyuu looked at her, a sparkling gleam in his eyes.

"S-Stupid...?"
He questioned, curiosity filled in his voice.

Shinobu chuckled softly, her hand still resting under his chin.
"Yes, stupid. Think about it, you asked him to take care of himself, because you cared about him... Is that correct?"

Giyuu nodded slowly, his eyes never leaving her face.

"So...?"
He questioned, urging her to continue.

Shinobu's smile grew wider, the amusement clear in her eyes.

"...And now, you've left him because he didn't care about himself? Doesn't that mean that you left him because you cared for him a lot?"
She laughed softly, shaking her head.

"You're so weird, Tomioka-San!"

Giyuu's cheeks burned with a deep blush, the realisation dawning upon him slowly.

"O-Oh... Is that so..."
He muttered, avoiding her gaze.

Shinobu grinned mischievously.

"You should really talk to him..."
She suggested, her voice playful.

"...Or at least, stop sulking and making him worry."
She poked his cheek lightly.

"You're being so childish, Tomioka-San..."

Giyuu frowned, his hand instinctively reaching up to grab her poking finger.

"Shut up..."
He muttered, his face still flushed.

"Y-You're the one who's being annoying..."
He looked at her, his gaze softening.

Shinobu laughed, pulling her finger away.