groceries

The morning sun pours in through the kitchen window, casting a warm glow on the chaos that is our living room. I glance at the clock, panic bubbling in my chest. I need to get the kids ready and head to the grocery store before Taylor and Nicholas wake up from their nap. Demi's already darting around, her tiny feet pattering against the hardwood floor, her golden curls bouncing with every movement.

I crouch down to her level, eyes wide. "Demi, sweetheart, can you help Mommy get Tay and Nico in their car seats?"

She tilts her head adorably, considering my request. "Okay, Mommy!" she chirps, that sweet little voice melting my anxiety just a tad.

Just then, Charlie walks in, his blond hair tousled like he just rolled out of bed—though it's almost noon. "What's up, my love?" he asks, kissing me on the forehead before squatting down to Demi's height.

"Just trying to convince our little tornado to help me with her siblings," I say, taking a deep breath.

"Alright, let's tag team this. I'll grab the twins, you distract Demi," he suggests, heading toward the nursery.

"Demi," I say, dragging her attention away from the pile of toys she's about to scatter on the floor. "Want to pick out some snacks for the grocery trip?"

Demi gasps, her eyes as big as saucers. "Snacks! Yes!"

"Perfect! Let's do it!" I say, ushering her to the pantry.

Moments later, Charlie emerges from the nursery with the twins, both cradled in his arms. "Look who's joining the party!" he grins, and I can't help but smile at the sight.

"Hey, guys! Are we ready for a fun trip to the grocery store?" I ask, my voice drenched in enthusiasm. Taylor yawns, her chubby cheeks squishing together, while Nicholas starts to squirm.

Charlie raises an eyebrow, a teasing smirk on his face. "Ready as we'll ever be, I suppose."

After some guiding nudges from both of us, we finally manage to get everyone into their car seats. I buckle Demi in first, reminding her to be a good big sister. "Keep an eye on them, okay?"

She beams proudly. "I can do that, Mommy!"

Charlie leans over to help with the twins, tucking each baby snugly and giving them each a light tickle on the nose. "You two ready for an adventure?"

"Ugh," I say, rolling my eyes playfully. "I think that might be your first sign of Dadhood, babe."

With the kids finally secured, I take a moment to gather my thoughts. "Okay, everyone's in! Let's do this." I breathe in deeply.

We finally pull into the bustling parking lot of the grocery store, and the moment I open the door, a wave of noise hits me: carts squeaking, children laughing, and the faint melody of a catchy tune from the store's overhead speakers.

Charlie raises the twins' car seats out first while I wrangle with Demi. "Hold my hand, sweetheart. Let's not lose you!"

The moment we walk into the store, we're greeted by a few friendly older ladies who are drawn to the sight of our brood.

"Oh, what a lovely family you have!" one of them exclaims, her eyes sparkling with delight.

"Thank you!" I reply, feeling the warmth spread within me.

"You've got your hands full, dear," another lady chuckles, glancing at Demi as she wiggles. "But what a blessing!"

"Definitely! I wouldn't trade it for the world," I say, unable to hide my smile.

Suddenly, the lovely warmth of the moment is shattered. A woman in her forties—a self-proclaimed Karen, judging by her stance and choice of light pink, oversized sunglasses—strolls over with a frown plastered across her face.

"Excuse me," she declares, her tone a little too sharp. "Are you seriously a mom of three at nineteen? That seems a bit irresponsible if you ask me."

My heart races as her words pierce through the joy of the moment.

Charlie steps forward, narrowing his eyes ever so slightly. "Is there something we can help you with?"

Karen crosses her arms, undeterred. "You should think about the choices you're making," she reprimands. "What kind of life are you giving them?"

I take a deep breath to steady my nerves. "We're giving them a life filled with love and togetherness, which is exactly what matters," I counter.

The older ladies nearby gasp, and one of them steps forward. "Now, now, dear. Just because she's young doesn't mean she isn't doing a fantastic job. Look at how well those little ones are cared for!"

"Exactly!" I chime in, my confidence rising. "We're doing our best, and our kids are our priority."

Charlie wraps his arm around my shoulder, and I can feel the support surge through me.

"Seems like they're doing great, ma'am," one of the ladies continues, her voice full of conviction. "Let's leave them be!"

Karen huffs, indignantly turns on her heel, and storms off, leaving me shaken but empowered. Taylor lets out a tiny squeal, bringing my focus back to her as I lean down to our little princess.

"I think you may have scared the mean lady away!" I whisper to Taylor, who giggles, blissfully unaware of the adult drama around her.

"Mommy!" Demi exclaims, "Can we get cookies now?"

"Absolutely!" I respond, trying to maintain the spirit of joy in my heart. "Cookies it is, let's go!"

As we navigate through the aisles, I can't help but feel grateful for Charlie, for our kids, and even for that moment of conflict—it taught me I can stand my ground. No matter what anyone says, our family is perfect just the way it is.

"Next time," Charlie whispers, as he ruffles Demi's hair, "let's just order delivery."

I laugh. "Deal!" And, hand-in-hand, we march toward the cookie aisle, ready to embrace all that this crazy life has to offer.