spa

As I step into the luxurious spa lobby, the soothing scent of lavender envelops me. I instantly feel the weight of toddler tantrums and sleepless nights slipping away, if only for a weekend.

"Can you believe we're actually here?" Cecily whispers excitedly beside me, her eyes gleaming with anticipation.

"I know! It feels unreal," I reply, squeezing her hand. "It's almost like we've been given a two-day vacation from chaos."

We check in and are handed our fluffy white robes. I wrap it around me like a comforting hug, almost forgetting about the nursery filled with baby cries.

"First up, let's hit the hot stone massage," I suggest, already imagining the tension melting off my shoulders.

"Yes, please! I need someone to work out these knots from carrying around double the trouble," Cecily giggles, motioning toward her sleeping baby in a soft carrier, little Katie, blissfully unaware of the world.

As we head towards the treatment rooms, I can't help but reflect on the chaos back home. I briefly hear the sounds of gurgling laughter and baby babble from my phone notification. Just then, I get a text from Charlie.

"Sabrina just spit up all over my new shirt. Missing you! 😩"

"Everything okay with Charlie?" Cecily asks, glancing over curiously.

"Just the usual dad struggle! He's got his hands full with the twins and Demi," I chuckle lightly. "But hey, at least Victor's with him, right?"

"And Leo is finally adjusting to his baby sister," Cecily adds, grinning. "But I think he's still processing it all."

We enter the massage room, and I close my eyes, sinking into bliss as the therapist starts working on my back. An hour later, I emerge into the serene lounge area, a dazed smile plastered on my face.

"I could live like this forever," I say, savoring my herbal tea.

Cecily nods enthusiastically, but suddenly her expression dims. "Oh no, Harper... Is that who I think it is?"

I follow her gaze. Standing in the corner, arms crossed, is Kayla—Noah's older sister, infamous for her dramatic entrances. I'm suddenly wary.

"Just act casual. Maybe she won't notice us," I whisper, but it's too late.

"Cecily! Oh, look who it is," Kayla calls, her voice oozing with sarcasm. "Cecily and Harper, living the high life while the men do all the hard work. How quaint."

"What do you want, Kayla?" Cecily snaps. I'm shocked at her assertiveness.

"Relax, I'm just here to steal your spotlight," she smirks, tossing her hair. "I just couldn't resist crashing this little spa weekend."

"You're not welcome here," I say firmly, trying to keep my composure. "Why don't you leave?"

"Aw, don't be sour, Harper. I'm just here for some fun," she retorts, eyeing us like we're a couple of defeated queens on a chessboard.

Moments pass, tension hanging thick in the air. Cecily and I exchange glances of mutual exasperation, but we both know we need to kick her out.

"Okay, Kayla, consider this a polite eviction," I say, steeling my voice.

"Goodbye, Kayla," Cecily hisses defiantly, gesturing toward the exit.

With a huff, Kayla flips her hair and storms out, leaving a heavy silence behind. I exhale, feeling lighter yet still on edge.

"Ugh, that was intense," I mutter, glancing at Cecily. "Did you see how she tried to provoke us?"

"Ugh, yes! But she's out now. Let's forget her," Cecily grins. "How about another treatment? I need to unwind."

The rest of our day passes in a blur of pampering—facials, manicures, and more laughter. Just as I'm about to drift off into a serene nap, my phone buzzes again. I almost ignore it until I catch the name: Charlie.

"You won't believe it. Kayla just showed up here. Tried to 'chat' with me. EW."

My heart races. "What is she doing there?"

Cecily peeks over my shoulder, her eyebrows shooting up in shock.

"Okay, that's not good. She's seriously desperate," I mutter, shooting back a quick response.

"We'll be home soon! Don't let her get to you. I love you."

"Love you too! 😠"

As the sun begins to dip, painting the resort in golden hues, I can finally breathe deeply. "I'll tell Charlie everything when we get back. He needs to know it's not over."

But as the day fades, I can't shake off the eerie feeling Kayla might try something ridiculous again.

When we return home late Sunday, a soothing calm washes over me as I see my beautiful, chaotic family sprawled across the living room floor—Nico tangled up with Demi's toys, Taylor feeding Sabrina, and Charlie sitting with Victor.

"Hey there, my love!" Charlie beams, and I immediately ditch my anxious thoughts.

"Missed you," I say, pulling him in for a hug, before whispering, "Did anything happen with Kayla?"

"There's a lot to say, but first, you need to get settled," he says, his expression earnest.

My heart settles knowing Charlie's eyes can cut through any drama.

After I tend to Sabrina and the others, he pulls me aside. "So, Kayla tried to flirt with me," he confesses quietly.

"What?!" I gasp in disbelief.

"It was lame; I shut her down. Don't worry, Harp. I only have eyes for you," he assures.

"Good! Because all I need is you!"

We share a quick laugh, but I can't shake the nagging feeling that Kayla has more up her sleeve. As I lean into his embrace, I know I'll share this moment with him later—when we're ready to face whatever chaos comes our way, together.