Ch-37: Survival from Pickle

"Kung Fu Training & Research Center"

Inside of a training room, Retsu was standing in front of a table with ten cinder blocks placed on top of it while the students were spectating from the side with Baki and Killian there as well. One of the men wearing sunglasses yells "number nine", and Retsu punched the first cinder block that somehow traveled towards the ninth one and destroyed it to pieces.

"He smashed just the ninth one?"

Sunglasses Student: Seven!

Retsu does the same thing and was able to destroy the seventh one on the table.

Sunglasses Student: Four!

With the next precision attack, he smashed the fourth one. Everyone was in awe by this as Retsu bowed and ended the demonstration. Afterwards, he was sitting on the floor with Baki and Killian as they were discussing about the demonstration he shown.

Baki: That was really impressive.

Retsu: Either of you could do it, too, if you applied yourself.

Baki: I dunno. I'm not too good at subtle stuff.

Killian: If anything, I think the who's more perfect for that kind of technique is you, Retsu.

Retsu: You doubt yourselves, So, why have you two come today?

Baki and Killian both had the same answer to give Retsu, they both wanted to learn kung fu, but for different uses of it.

Retsu: You want me to teach the both of you kung fu, huh?

Baki: Kung fu is a treasure trove of principles. Regardless of your past record, you're a master at it.

Killian: And being taught by you would mean a great honor. So out of respect, would you please teach us?

The both of them bowed their heads to him, but Retsu looked at them with a deadpan stare.

Retsu: No, I won't. To be frank, neither of you interest me.

Killian: What?

Baki: But why not?

Retsu: Don't take it personally. Right at this moment, I am interested in absolutely nothing, and no one, other than one person. You must know who I mean. This Jurassic man, the caveman.

Baki: Pickle.

Retsu: That's right.

Baki: But isn't Pickle... y'know...

Retsu: I know. He is a treasure. A rare specimen. I am fully aware of all that! I know it's madness to fight him. To even think about wanting to fight him. But this feeling that I have, it's like a hunger. When I have this strong desire to fight a man, it's a lot like love.

Killian: Love?

Retsu: I feel I have to know him. Hold him. Get him in my grip. It's a passion. I am burning with a passion to fight this man, this embodiment of savagery from before time. These skills I have were developed over 4,000 years. How will they match up against the skills of a caveman?

Killian: ...

Baki: ...

Retsu: I can't even imagine the moves he must have. That's why I want to fight him. Why I have to fight him!

After hearing him out, the two brothers left the building and walked down the street.

Baki: Unbelievable, we've been dumped. Pickle, Pickle, Pickle. That's all anyone cares about these days.