6.31

!!!TRIGGER WARNING!!! subtle mentions of child abuse at beginning of this chapter

Days go by slowly as we wait for September first to arrive. I've spent time with Draco and his mother. She's shown remorse for everything that happened, and she has told me she wishes she could've changed the outcome. I tried to lie, I told her that I understood, and that part wasn't a lie, I mean I do understand, she was protecting her son, her family, and I understand that much, but I lied whenever I told her it was okay.

I've learned more about Draco, who has started opening up more. He feels like he owes that to me, now that he knows everything about my family. He's told me about times from when he was eleven. How his father has always been selfish, wanting to be powerful, and how his father thinks "ruling alongside Voldemort" will make that dream a reality. He's told me how he's never really had a choice, and how he's been "swayed" to make the "right" choices in his father's eyes.

We're walking together in Diagon Alley, getting my school supplies, since he's gotten his already, when he tells me about Dobby, who he did consider a friend before Harry freed him.

"I don't know, when I heard he was freed I felt more alone than ever," Draco explains, "He's heard so much about Hogwarts and Potter from me. He probably knew me better than my own father."

I shrug, "I mean at least he's free, right? You said your father treated him poorly, so at least he's happy, right?"

Draco nods with a shrug. We both come to a stop when we see the joke shop. Well, he stops because I stop. I look and see how busy it is. It's impressive that they've stayed in business for this long, half of the alley is closed due to Death Eater attacks, even Ollivander's closed down.

"We can go in, if you want?" he suggests, following my gaze.

I shake my head, "I can't."

He rolls his eyes and mutters something under his breath, but starts walking again.

"What?" I snapped at him.

"You said you're still friends, yeah?" he continues walking, not even looking at me.

I see where he's walking to, and he knows I'll follow him.

"Draco!" I call after him.

He finally turns around, "Suit yourself, but I know for a fact I saw Zabini go in there, so

I'm going."

I haven't seen Blaise since the last day of school. It would be nice to see him again. Hear any snarky remarks he has, so I cave, and meet Draco at his side, and we walk into the shop.

Luckily, Blaise is actually in there. I first thought Draco might have been lying, but he wasn't.

"Zabini!" Draco calls out, walking up to Blaise.

I see Blaise smirk, but then see me and give a smile with a small wave.

I am now behind Draco, who has already started talking to Blaise.

"Allard, why are you with him? Thought you worked here, no?" Blaise asks.

I open my mouth to say something, but I have no good lie or excuse.

"Shit came up, we'll talk about that later," Draco cuts in rather quickly, on my behalf.

I see Blaise glance upstairs, looking at the twins, specifically George, and back at me. His face gives some sort of understanding look and he moves on.

"Either way, Malfoy, please tell me you're staying on the team," Blaise asks.

Draco has told me he doesn't want to continue on the team, he finds no reason to continue it if it would just distract him from his tasks, and being distracted might be deadly now. It's understandable. Part of me doesn't want to try out, but I'll take the risk of it distracting me.