6.40

Weeks have passed and Draco and I have made some progress with the vanishing cabinet, now that we have more time to research it, and actually take our time with mending it.

We managed to mend it enough to send the apple somewhere, although we don't know where. It just disappeared and came back in one piece.

"That's progress, right?" I ask Draco as he picks up the apple.

He tosses it in the air catching it as it falls, "Yeah, it's far better than not going anywhere at all."

I can tell he's starting to relax a bit, starting to realize that we'll get it sorted out. Neither of us want it to happen, but it's better we just do it rather than avoid it, and risk getting tortured or worse.

"I think that's enough for the day though, want to go to Hogsmeade?" Draco suggests.

I nod with a smile, "I'd love to."

++++

Draco and I walk through the halls of the castle, almost making it to the door, but are stopped by a familiar voice.

"Mr. Malfoy, Miss. Allard, where are you going?" We both turn, seeing Professor Snape standing behind us.

"To Hogsmeade. Why?" I respond.

"I would have thought you two would be busy with certain assignments," he sneers.

Draco grimaces at him, "We've made progress, professor, we are just trying to take some time and be normal, for once."

"Unfortunately that is your normal, Mr. Malfoy. I'd think you'd know that by now. I would advise against getting attached to anything else. Miss. Allard should understand given her father's experience," Snape states, blankly, taking a slight at us both.

"Don't talk about him, or my mother," I snap, and I feel Draco squeeze my hand.

"Watch the tone Miss. Allard, I'm only trying to help you both, isn't that what you asked from me?" he points out.

"I was thinking more along the lines of getting us out of everything, but that's not going to happen, so you're help, if that's what you call it, is not needed," I match his tone.

"Suit yourselves then. See how far being normal gets you both," Snape says finally turning away.

Draco and I quickly turn around and leave the castle, going into the cold, late November air.

"He's getting worried," Draco states, "And not about us, for himself."

I look at him as we walk, "What do you mean?"

"I'm pretty sure he made an unbreakable vow with my mother, and he doesn't want to find out what happens if he isn't successful," Draco explains.

"So what is he saving us to save himself?" I snark, "Makes sense."

Draco nods, "Plenty of sense."

We brush off the conversation, and try to do exactly what we told Snape, just be normal teenagers.

We walk around Hogsmeade for a while, then go down to the Black Lake, and sit on the dock.

"Where are you staying over the Holiday?" Draco asks, leaning back on his arms.

I shrug, "Here probably."

"I'm sorry, but that's the wrong answer," he remarks.

I furrow my brows at him.

"You can stay with me, at the manor, but I'd understand if you wouldn't want to, you don't exactly have any good memories there," Draco goes on.

"I'll stay with you," I said, quickly accepting his offer.