4

"Eat this." Lincoln placed a plate full of different foods in front of Abigail as she sat up on the bed, her back against the headboard. Her eyes widened when she saw so much food, Nora didn't even use to fill half of her plate. "All of these?" She asked so she wouldn't get in trouble if all of it weren't meant for her.

Lincoln nodded his head, "yes, you need to eat." He smiled at the girl who hesitantly picked up the fork and started eating.

"I'll be back in a minute, call me if you need anything." When the girl nodded, Lincoln went out from her room, closed the door behind him and sighed. "Did you get it?" He asked his brother who was sitting on the sofa, watching tv unbothered.

He looked up at his brother and nodded. "Yes." He got up and typed something on his phone. Just then Lincoln's phone buzzed. "I sent everything they could find to you, now I'm leaving." He turned around not waiting for a response but before he could reach for his coat, Lincoln stopped him.

"You're leaving?"

Kaden sighed. He only came because Lincoln seemed panicked when they talked on the phone. He shouldn't have come, not after everything that happened between them.

"I can't leave Carter alone for long."

"You could have brought him with you."

Kaden raised an eyebrow at his brother's statement, "Yes, because bringing a 13 year old boy to a place where you told me you shot someone would be a great idea." He stated sarcastically.

Lincoln bowed his head and stared at the ground. He knew his brother didn't trust him and he had a reason as to why but he wished Kaden would give him a second chance, especially now that the reason for their disagreement is gone now.

"Will you take care of her?" Kaden asked after he put his coat on. He didn't want to spend another moment in his brother's presence, but he wanted to be sure the girl would be in a safe place from now on. His assistant told him everything, how her mother died and after that she was placed in her father's house, where she was probably getting abused as she had bruises and scars all over her body. "You need to get her a doctor, I can send you one once I'm home."

Lincoln nodded. "Thank you for everything and yes, I'm going to keep her. You sure her family won't have a problem with it?"

Kaden shook his head, "Don't worry, I'll take care of everything else, you just make sure to treat the little girl well."

"Of course I will." Lincoln hated that his own brother doubted him but he didn't want to fight with him anymore. He wasted almost his entire life fighting and competing with him. And the result of that was that he was all alone now after their father died.

"Have a good life Brother." Kaden left and Lincoln felt like this was the last time he'd see his brother.

He went back to check on the girl, he didn't even ask her name yet. He opened the door and almost had a heart attack when he didn't notice the girl immediately on the bed. But when his eyes darted to the floor, he saw her lying on it, a pillow under her head.

He cleared his throat and the girl looked up at him, he smiled and sat across from her. "May I ask your name?"

"Abigail." She replied as her eyes closed on their own. Lincoln realized she was sleepy so he got up and motioned for the girl to do the same. "Get on the bed and sleep, Abigail." He said as gently as he could.

The girl's eyes widened, "Really? I can sleep on the bed?"

Lincoln was confused at her tone of happiness. "What do you mean Abi, of course you sleep on the bed."

The girl stood up and got on the bed. "I didn't have a bed ever since my mom died."

Lincoln fisted his hands. "Really?"

"Yes, Nora never let me use one." She laid on her side and closed her eyes. "Goodnight Abi." Lincoln turned off the light and closed the door behind him. He took his phone out and started reading everything Kaden sent him. His jaw clenched and anger clouded his entire mind as he read about how her supposed father and family treated the little girl.