7

Abigail's pov

I was reading the book Lincoln bought for me when the door to my room opened. I've been staying with Lincoln for two weeks now and he told me he'd not take me back to my family. I was thankful, I don't want to be with them.

"Yes?" I asked once he came inside. These two weeks he has never raised his voice on me or hit me so I think I can finally trust him.

Lincoln smiled at me as he sat next to me. "I have very good news for you princess."

"What is it?"

"From now on I'm officially your legal guardian so no one can take you away ever." He kissed my forehead as he said those words. It was weird, after my mom's death no one touched me like this. Gently and to show their affection to me instead of hitting me.

"How?" I was beyond happy but I didn't understand, even though I was only 12 I knew it shouldn't be that easy to become a new guardian of a minor. Also, my dad would never agree, if he did let me go then who would clean the house or help Jake with his homework?

"Well, my brother helped me. He's kind of a great influence in this city so that's how but it doesn't matter." He stood up.

"So, you have a brother?" He's never mentioned a brother before. Lincoln nodded with a bittersweet smile. "Will I see him?" I don't know what's gotten into me but I really wanted to meet new people. Especially, someone related to Lincoln because if he's nice then there's a great chance that his brother will also be nice.

"Yes. Princess, if you want I'll take you to him, anything for you." I felt guilty at his words. He did everything for me these past two weeks and I felt like a burden. He wouldn't let me clean anything or even help with breakfast, he wanted me to rest.

"You're going to start school next week so I suggest we go this weekend huh?" Lincoln enrolled me into different school and I'm glad. I don't want to accidentally see Jake.

"If it's okay with you if you don't want to then that's totally okay, I don't -"

"It's okay princess. I wanted to see my brother but I couldn't because of something but now I can tell him that you want to visit him, he will not say no to that."

I smiled at that. I was helping Lincoln. I wanted to help Lincoln. "Okay." I nodded and he beamed at me. "I'll make dinner and get you but before that continue reading, you'll need to know all that stuff when you go to school."

I've been reading for half an hour when Lincoln finally came to me. I stopped and walked down the stairs with him. "This smells delicious." I told him. I liked his cooking. He was a great cook.

"Aren't you going to work?" I asked once we sat down. He's never left the house and I'm curious does he work from home?

Lincoln chuckled. "You don't have to worry about that Abi."

No one has ever called me Abi. No one has ever given me a nickname. I like it. I smile at Lincoln as we both start eating.

"I called Kaden and he said we can visit this weekend."

"Kaden?" I asked and looked up at him.

"My brother." He took a bite of his sandwich and smiled. "Apparently his son also wanted to meet you so it works for both of us."

His son? Lincoln has a nephew? What if he's like Jake. Jake never liked me. Whenever he saw his mother hitting me, he'd join too. He was also enjoying how Nora would make me help him with homework and then I was so tired I couldn't do mine so the teacher would always scold me.

I continued eating and hoped that his nephew would be different. That he'd be nice just like Lincoln.